Monday, October 5, 2026

Room 205 (2007)

October Challenge Day 5

So this Danish film surprised me! Let's talk about:



As a grandchild of Danes, I think I mistakingly expected more. But as a Dane, I'm going to enjoy myself regardless.

So, this is ... an interesting film. I can't say it's great. Honestly it was a struggle most of the time for me, but I was trying to making an omelette at the time I started the film, so my attention was distracted and I'm not a good omelette maker. 

Once my omelette was made, however, I realized the ending is pretty unhinged and all over the place. Which is fun! I like a good mess sometimes! [see also omelette]

Here we have the story of a young woman heading to college, doing all the college things (e.g., meeting the mean girls, the douche guy, etc.,) and she starts learning about the ghost of a "...girl who died in room 205". Suddenly something is unleashed and people start dying, paranormal stuff is happening, young love is bubbling, and a battle with glass and mirrors is everywhere (metaphors abound here).

In all, a story about: finding yourself while battling the afterlife!

At the core, however, is a sexual assault that prompted this activity. This film captures a zeitgeist of our times - an Awareness, if you will - that was truly unsettling and spoke volumes, so watch with caution.

This is not a terrible movie, and it's not a great one either, but it's a solid feature for a spooky not "scary" night. Actually, it's a good hygge film for those cold, dark, nights and you're looking for a cozy ghost story.

Pairs with boiling, feral, unfettered rage about campus sexual assault crimes, in particular. 

I rented this film from Scarecrow Video or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this Nordic chiller.

No comments:

Post a Comment