October Challenge Day 7
So, what do you think would happen if David Lynch and Quentin Tarantino had a love child...
Let's talk about the morbid and well made:
This film, told in scenes but not sequentially, follows a private investigator who is looking for a missing young woman. Things get messy when both the woman and the investigator get tangled up with some bad people.
The dialog is exceptional - right off the bat - but I quickly got the impression it was written by a man who likes to hold captive audiences with a somewhat nagging wit, particularly with women. After looking it up, I found it was written and directed by a man (Dennis Hauck) but I know nothing of his character so I'll just stick with the experience of the film.
The story meanders through the sad, lonely lives, of lost souls and greedy men who make the twisted worlds of Lynch and Tarantino go round. The inspirations are obvious and celebrated with this film, with top tier camera work to boot.
While this film is really well made and deserves more attention and recognition, it's a hard watch, particularly with the treatment of the women in this story. It's a dismal place for women, here, and that quite likely is on purpose. A well placed camera light glaring into the face of dark places where even the most well meaning of actions end up hurting others because of a man's guilt, shame, and/or greed. Or maybe that's the surly private investigator in *me* talking (shout out: Bergman Investigations circa 2009 - 2014).
This is a thriller/drama, and it's heavy on the drama but I have it listed here as a horror story because this is a nightmare for all the characters involved. Not for everyone, and on the slower side of a burn, this film might also piss you off for many reasons because everyone here is far, far too late.
Best watched alone, pairs with cigarettes and ecstasy. And I mean A LOT of cigarettes and ecstasy.
I watched this film on Kanopy (support your local libraries!) or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this sad but delicate yet exquisite feature.

No comments:
Post a Comment