Monday, November 6, 2023

The Unknown (1927)

Back in the days when streaming services weren't really a thing and I was getting Netflix in the mail, I used to go the library and rent a ton of films. For a couple of years I was primarily checking out silent films. 

I love silent films. I'm on death's doorstep laughing at some of these silent films (this does not even include Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton works!). One of my favorites is a story about suburb life - in the 1910's!!!! I was on THE FLOOR. DECEASED WITH LAUGHTER. 

Good stuff. 

You know what else is good stuff? Silent Horror Films. Let's check out:




Okay, so this title is not great. In fact, I still don't know what this title is trying to do, but it stars Lon Chaney, Joan Crawford, and is directed by Tod Browning so you know it's going to be f*cking STELLAR.

Here we have the story about some theatrical/circus/side show performers. And one of them is fixated on a woman in the troupe. You all know this won't go well...

The creep performer in question is of course Lon Chaney, and he performs as an arm-less man and I can GUARANTEE YOU, you are not prepared for what he can do with his feet sans hands. No one is ready for this.

NO ONE

I wouldn't be surprised if there were folks on set that weren't okay for several days after working with him. 

Joan Crawford isn't fazed in the slighted, of course. 

This seems to be a film that hides in the corners of silent cinema history. Or maybe I'm surprisingly new, considering my years of silent film study. It's phenomenal. Personally, I was on the edge of my seat the entire time and gasped several times. I don't know what it is about spectacular silent films but they take *my breath away*. 

In all, this is a story about a man who becomes fixated on a woman and that woman is not fixated in the same way in return. Oh, did I mention he's a serial killer and the police are after him because he has three thumbs and finger prints were becoming a big thing. 

Wildly ahead of it's time and performed with a precision I can only imagine - this film is excellent. 

If silent films are new to you then I highly recommend taking a deep dive. In fact, as I'm typing this, I just let the silent films continue and I currently have "It" - the original 1927 film - playing in the background.  Fantastic.

Best watched with Wine. Lots of it. 

I watched this film on Tubi or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this treasure of a feature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment