Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Fresh (2022)

I recently got back into the dating scene. It's an ... interesting place. A wild west, lawless sort of place, complete with a vast and nearly incomprehensible array of profiles, pictures, and people. I'm speaking particularly with online dating, of course. 

Online dating doesn't have the same feeling and allure as the classic meet-cute story, however. Those are always fun or ... disastrous, as evident in: 

Fresh

Here we have a young woman who is trying the online dating thing, not liking it much, when she meets a handsome man in the produce section of a grocery store. Things escalate quickly, sweetly, and she decides to go on a trip out of town with this promising man. 

Folks, as someone who sends my friends photos of my date, time of date, location of said date, and expected time to return home from date: NEVER EVER GO TO AN UNKNOWN LOCATION WITH A STRANGER. I DON'T CARE HOW CUTE HE IS.

It's a scary and dangerous world out there, and this film both highlighted that AND made fun of it, in a satirical yet gruesomely real way. 

While the plot becomes somewhat predictable at points, it comes around with some pretty epic unexpected punches and alarmingly real moments. In particular, the very, very end scenes - which, after the earlier blood bath of the film (also epic), had me laugh out loud. So help me, I just watched carnage and mayhem and I laughed out loud at some pretty typical dating topics. 

In short, this is a fun, brutally gory, and very telling story about the dangers of getting to know someone/making yourself vulnerable. 

Best watched with a best friend over wine, brunch, or after a disastrous date the night before. Pairs with vegetarian dishes. Suggestion: text someone "U up" at an ungodly hour. 

This movie came recommended to me by a Tinder match. I watched it on Hulu, or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find gory "love" story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment