Monday, June 3, 2024

Let's Talk About Wind

I shot up out of bed around 4:00 AM this morning, stunned and startled by a loud sound. That sound was the wind, suddenly barreling through the crack I left in the window. 

The cats jumped up on my bed as I walked to the window, to close it. We burrowed back down as near 50 mile winds slammed against the walls, tree branches were knocking on my window, and I could just hear the planet howling - the cats and I all tried to go back to sleep. Hello everyone, I hate the wind. 

I really, really, really hate the wind.

Let's talk about something that doesn't suck though:



I don't remember exactly when this showed up on my radar but I was instantly intrigued. I patiently waited for a way to see this film.  To my surprise, for a long time it wasn't streaming anywhere and I couldn't even find it at Scarecrow

And then, just the other day, I noticed it's on Tubi. Once again, Tubi to the rescue for obscure films!

This film is based on a novel with a more disturbing ending but that doesn't matter right now. Let's focus on the film. 

To my tired rage, this film description heavily focuses on "... frail young woman...". She's not frail. She's just young and has limited options, and she's rightfully afraid of the unknown world as she embarks on a trek to Texas, alone, in the 1800's.

Unfortunately, lecherous men saw this and took advantage of it. The film then describes that she went "mad".

The wind is mad. That's the backdrop here along with the isolation, and as a South Dakotan, I can tell you, I fell victim to prairie madness a time or two - particularly in the winter. 

When it comes to wind, though, and it's nonstop, the sound is just always there - I get it. I get it, girl. I get it. In this story's case I also get that she had so few friends, resources, was forced into marriage, and was attacked in so many ways in her most vulnerable state. 

This film kept me on the edge of my seat!! I was scared the whole time. I Was Scared The Whole Time!

I watched this film, hot off the tail of the man vs bear debate - and there is a reason this film has been included among the American Film Institute's 100 most heart-pounding American movies. 

That's all you need to know. Walk into this film as blind as possible. There's a reason this film is on a heart-pounding list. There is a reason this film is simply called The Wind. There is a reason this film is SO GOOD. 

This film tested my blood pressure. 

Best watched alone, eating just crusty bread.


So, all that said, don't confuse The Wind with the 1986 film:



I was side eyeing this film for a while (also a Tubi find), and to my surprise delight, it did not disappoint. 

Is it a little weird and awkward - yes. But don't let that stop you! It's never stopped me and little weird and awkward is my life! Here we have the story of a successful author looking for a retreat to write her book. While she's having her own version of hot girl summer, who should come along and try to ruin it? A man! Yep, weird dude living next door starts stalking her. 

Meanwhile, the wind is leaving her with no peace! Just the constant sound, screaming through the ancient Greek windows. 

It took a minute for this film to grow on me but grow it did. This is a classic '80s slasher film with a stylish, moody, and silky backdrop. 

Two thumbs up - just have some patience. Best watched alone or with a bestie. Pairs with wine and a charcuterie board. 

So, all that said, please don't confuse The Wind and The Wind with the 2018 film:



And we're heading back to the prairie!!

I had to watch this film twice, nearly back-to-back.

And we're back to the panic attacks, with this one. This film is more silent than the silent The Wind film. You have to pay constant attention.

Here we have the story of a young couple living next door (about 5 miles away) to a new young couple who are trying out the devastating "manifest destiny" dream. Things don't go well. 

Wind is also a problem.

But is it....? Or are there actual monsters in the earth? Something disguising itself ... 

This is a creature feature that is not a creature feature. Or is is a creature feature. Watch and see for yourself. Overall, we have a woman here, left alone to defend herself against the elements, her demons, and the demons outside (WIND?!?!?!).

I warmed up to this film after the second viewing. It's harsh and raw. It's figuring itself out and it's not for everyone. 

Best watched alone. Pairs with self reflection and soup.

We're not quite done!!!

While I focused on The Wind movies, I wanted to add a short story to this list - written by Eleanor Wilkins Freeman around 1903: The Wind in the Rose-Bush.

I absolutely love this haunting - so haunting - ghost story, about a woman who saw a bush shutter in the wind. I continue to be shaken to my core by this most insane detail. Take a little read for yourself. Thank me later.

I hate wind.

I love you

No comments:

Post a Comment