Saturday, July 20, 2024

Girls Just Want to Have Fun

Oh girl time. Or as I like to call it: Gurl Time!

I love it. I'm a big fan of road trips, movie nights, slumber parties, makeup parties, brunches, wandering around town wrecking chaos after all those bottomless mimosas during brunch. I love my girl time, I love my girls, my friends, my besties. 

But here we have a selection of stories where that doesn't quite work out. The crazy eyes are rampant and the girl code is on point (sometimes destructively)! 


Starting off with a little film from a very independent world we have:

Homewrecker (2019)

I don't know why this film made me so uncomfortable but I think it might have something to do with my having actually met people like Linda....

This story revolves around Michelle and Linda after they meet in an exercise class.  Linda has boundary issues and Michelle is regretting ever agreeing to hang out. 

How this story evolves, while we're all trapped in Linda's house, is pretty amazing. The dialogue is EXCEPTIONAL. Someone really knows their girl threats and fights well.

While this story is tragic and deranged, it's also hilarious. Linda needs medication and probably be hospitalized but she's entertaining. Her singing Lisa Loeb is Next Level amazing. 

I love this film. Best watched with someone who you regularly call "Dumb Bitch". Paris with mixed drinks and lounging in exercise outfits.


To  my utter astonishment, I was today years old when I realized I've never talked about the masterpiece that is:

The Virgin Suicides (1999)


But Jolie, this isn't horror, it's drama.

Shut your mouth. It's a horror story and I'll stand by that till my dying day.

Here we have a large family of all sisters, and they are hitting their teenage years. As I was once a teenage girl, this shit is hard. I get it. What makes this film so utterly remarkable, however, is how well the sisters communicate without saying a word.  EVERY girl and woman knows how to do this, btw. 

How they all know they are commodities, products, and thrust into a world in which they can and will never thrive - all under the watchful, religious eye of their parents and the cruel world in which they are viewed. 

I can't tell you how many times I've seen this film (usually late at night and when I had a weird day), or read the book, but it gets me every time. Just sucker punches me right in the gut.

You want to tell them it's going to be okay but in the end .... you get it. Especially if you're a woman. And that's the hardest part of this movie. The most traumatic, the most horrifying. The patriarchy - particularly religion - makes life insufferable when you are a light and yearn to live, breath, be complex, wild, free, and just be a GIRL and a soar as a WOMAN.

I cry at the end of this film while also raging. I'm also a little mad but impressed that the story is told through the eyes of a teenage boy.

Watch this with your besties. Eat, drink, and wear what ever you damn want.


My hands-down, most favorite in this list though is:

May (2002)


I am totally in love with every bit of this film. I love every little detail, every little quirk, every little weird look. 

Poor May just needs some friends, some self confidence, and kissing classes. 

I watch this film in the same longing way May watches Mr. Mechanic down the street. Unhinged. Absolutely unhinged. 

Here we have the story of a young woman who is struggling to connect with people but quite confident and proficient in clothes making and her veterinarian work. 

She develops crushes and doesn't know what to do with them.... meanwhile she has a doll in her home that either absorbs or reflects all her insecurities and anger. 

May just wants to be loved and be a girls girl but, but, but

Best watched alone and pairs with gurl dinner and cheep beer, fine wine, or straight vodka. 


I watched these films all over different platforms. Use JustWatch to see where you can find them!


No comments:

Post a Comment