Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Evil Dead 2 by Hourglass Escapes AND Evil Dead II (1987)

My family are puzzle people. We LOVE Puzzles! Almost any kind - with the exception of 99% of word puzzles... 

But back to FUN puzzles! 

So we love puzzles, particularly jigsaw puzzles and hours long board games. With that, a brother and I are particularly fond of escape rooms! So, when I asked what he wanted to do for his birthday he said he wanted to do an escape room and would look for one that looked like fun. 

A few days later I get a call: 

Him: "Hey, Jolie. I found an escape room. Can you guess which one?"

Me: "Is it scary?"

Him: "Yes ... it's a movie..."

Me: "Is it Evil Dead!?"

Him: "Yes! How did you know?"

Because I'm good, that's how. No really, I had heard that something like this exists and I was certain he was going to find it and would want to check it out. Siblings. 

So this particular post is going to be a little different because it's both a shout out to an EXCELLENT escape room experience - my favorite so far! AND and little review/reminder of the amazing Evil Dead II.

First, the Shout Out:

If you're like some of my co-workers and friends who just gave me a blank look when I excitedly shared that I went to an escape room over the weekend, let me summarize the experience:

An escape room is where you get locked into a room and you have to solve a series of hidden physical clues within the room to get to additional rooms and or simply get out. Now, this can be a rather claustrophobic experience for some because some of the rooms can be rather small. I actually went to a 'mad scientist horror show' escape room and actually had a bit of a panic because it was #1: felt too small #2: I was getting frustrated at not finding clues.  Sometimes booze helps before these adventures, sometimes it doesn't. 

In all, these rooms require a lot of fun team work and collective critical, analytical thinking. You know, a utopia and what I envision as world peace. 

So that's a summary of an escape room. There are rooms all over the country and they all have fun, exciting, themes that come in all shapes, sizes, and - if it's your flavor like mine - scares. 

With that, since I have been to so many escape rooms, and enjoyed them all, Evil Dead 2tm by Hourglass Escapes has by far been my favorite! My very favorite! This room was exceptionally and lovingly detailed with very clever clues. It was fun the entire time (instead of frustrating) and if you're an Evil Dead fan, all the more the bonus. It will blow your mind with the amount of Easter eggs and tributes - you can tell some love and fandom went into building these rooms.

So yay you, Evil Dead 2 by Hourglass Escapes! IT WAS A BLAST! And great job!

Second, the Movie:

I can't tell you how many times I've seen this film, but I can say it's an utter delight every time I do watch it. It's also a bit of a shock to me when I reference this film (or film series), fully expecting something like "Shop smart, shop S-Mart" as a response, when all I get is a blank stare. I really don't know what to do with myself in those situations and I usually make it worse by trying to share *more* quotes, which, naturally, just digs me deeper into the awkward hole. So, if this film is new to you, let me introduce you to:

Evil Dead II


There is a wild madness to this film. A wild madness that I can never stop looking at, and was honed in on after the making of the first Evil Dead (also an excellent, excellent film, but I think horror fans from all walks will agree that Evil Dead II is better than the original. I mean, hell - there's an entire escape room dedicated to film #2). 

The wild madness is about the first thing viewers will notice - the erratic monster vision, the nonsensical plot line beginnings, and the BRILLIANCE of Bruce mf Campbell (love you). 

Here we have a story about a couple that plan a stay in a remote cabin in the woods. A book of the dead is discovered and demons are unleashed on an epic, gory, hilarious, and outrageous level. I mean, on levels not ever quite seen before or since. 

I was re-watching this film after the escape room and I [insert the Leonardo DiCaprio pointing at the TV with a beer in his hand meme] was delighted af to see all the very, very sharp attention to detail with both this film and the escape room fan room. I could even point to certain scenes in this film where I was able solve parts of the Evil Dead escape room - and didn't realize it at the time. Clever, clever, clever. 

This film is madness in all forms and it's super fun, super gross, super brilliant. It's one-of-kind for sure. A must not miss if you're a horror fan and quite likely a film that will come up in conversation if you're new to horror films. It's a classic and must see. Again. And again. And again. And again. 

This particular escape room is best experienced in a small (around 3, probably no more than 4 person) group. You have 70 minutes to solve the clues and get out or you're dragged straight to hell by a gaggle of demons. Good Luck!

The film is best watched in a much larger group, probably after you just escaped the grasp of being dragged to hell. Pairs best with laughter, booze, pot (probably a lot of pot) and insane snacks that don't sound like they should work or taste good but actually do both and it blows everyone's mind. 

Again, shout out to Hourglass Escapes! If you're in the Seattle area, be sure to check them out. If you're not in the Seattle area please check out your local escape rooms if puzzle rooms are your thing!

I own Evil Dead II or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this MUST SEE and can NEVER FORGET film.







No comments:

Post a Comment