Thursday, May 5, 2022

A Good Woman Is Hard to Find (2019)

I had settled into the night, a cross stitch project in hand, trying to figure out what to watch when I stumbled upon this curious find. I was instantly taken by the succinct yet somewhat allusive description:

"A recently widowed young mother will go to any lengths to protect her children as she seeks the truth behind her husband's murder."

I was all, "...I'm a widow..." AND I have just recently (finally) began to really, truly appreciate the shear terror, art, and joy of revenge horror films. I've avoided most of them for years simply because I could never really find a good head space to prepare myself for the premise that most revenge films rely on: sexual assault. 

So when I deduced this film was most likely a revenge film, and I was madly - madly - stabbing away at my cross stitch project because I just got word of the threat to repeal Roe v Wade, and since it's Mother's Day coming up, I figured:

"Let's see what this bad bitch is going to do!!"

Let me introduce you to the fabulous: 

A Good Woman Is Hard to Find


And let me tell ya - She's A BAD BITCH, ya'll! And I'm here for it!!

The landscape is drizzly, on the poorer side of a poor town, drugs are running pretty rampant, and this very young woman with two very young kids is just trying to make it minute to minute.  

She's not getting any information from the cops about her husband's murder in a park, in fact it's mostly dismissed. She's not getting any great support from a mother who has been upset she married that man in the first place, and then suddenly a drug deal outside goes down - badly - and she suddenly finds herself face to face with a man named Tito standing in her kitchen. 

Things go on a thrilling hell ride from there!

Note, fine folks, there's a dildo involved in this film (and not in the way you think ... exactly) that plays such a dark humored role at first and then such a pivotal role later - it still impresses me with its symbolism and sharp, witty use. To me, it spoke a wide variety of volumes about power, sex, and women. I loved it. Loved. It. 

I was genuinely impressed with this film. It really surprised me because on the surface, it's a simple film. When you dive deeper, however, you find onion layer after onion layer of social commentary but also a straight up film about a woman who ran out of options one day and just wasn't going to take it anymore. 

This stellar film will make a great double feature with another BRILLIANT revenge film, simply titled: Revenge. I'm sure I'm fine but I watch this film maybe a little too much.... 

Or, if you want to go the more rock n' roll psychedelic revenge angle, but with the same amount of intensity, I highly recommend Mandy. Either of these would pair nicely as a double feature with the stunner that is A Good Woman Is Hard to Find

Best watched alone or with a trusted person. Pairs with TV dinners and a shit ton of bad assery. Might I recommend a cross stitch to stab at? 

Stay:

ladies!

I watched this film on Shudder or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you find find this work of art. 

1 comment: