Monday, November 1, 2021

Ravenous (1999)

October Challenge Day 30:

Over the last couple of years, with my mother's passing, my cancer diagnosis, and my husband dying - I'm going to say I was under some pressure. 

I recently turned on this film and watched how horrified Guy Peace was at the sight of food and I 100% totally understood. 

Over the last few years my diet went to shit. 

Let's check out Ravenous:



I don't understand stress eating - I can't eat at all when stressed. I physically can't even force myself. The idea of food is putrid. 

This film is a favorite of mine, but it wasn't until recently that I really thought about how great this film is. 

This IS AN AMAZING FILM

And it's about food. Sort of. Which I have, to this day, regular arguments with. We're working on it.

This film blew my mind when my life was normal, but it really blew my mind when I'm cramming little slices of  meat, cheese, and crackers in my mouth because that's all that will fit with my jaw stress locked. 

I was in Reno, NV for work when I was driven to the Donner Party camp site by a co-worker. Seeing  how high the snow was at the time of their harrowing ordeal was - not good. I was horrified. I think a lot about this memory when I think of this film. 

Here we have a story about people making their way West, they get stranded by a snow storm, and a Wendigo comes along... Let's throw in a remote military outpost, a motley cast of characters, an excellent script and plot, and we have a very thrilling adventure on our hands. Bonus, the soundtrack is so perfect! It just perfectly captures the humor and horror of this film.

I've even fallen asleep to this film a few times *just* for the soundtrack - it's soothing, charming, funny, and calmly quirky. 

People often ask what my favorite horror film is and I cannot answer that. I can only state what films are some of my favorite based on a time, place, mood, etc. I can say though that military focused horror stories rise to represent some of my most favorite type of horror story (e.g. Dog Soldiers, Overlord, Dead Snow, Under The Shadow, this film of course, etc...). While this film doesn't always pop out of my mouth right away when asked this question, know that it is in fact one of my very favorites - which is why I chose it to close out this year's October Challenge. 

If you haven't seen it yet then what are you waiting for!? It's brilliant! And I will probably never stop falling asleep to the film just for the soundtrack, lololololo.

Best watched in a small group, pairs with food that horrifies you. Specifically meat. 

I own this film or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this amazing gem of a feature. 

3 comments:

  1. I always look forward to your recommendations to feed what my friends say is a disturbed addiction, but I always retort with "it could be worse." And it could. But I bet I would be better equipped to save those friends should there be an invasion of flesh eating zombies so they should just thank me. I was feeling a little disappointed. It seemed like a very long time since I had added another movie to my long list, and thought you had given up the gauntlet. I am glad you did not, and I am sorry. So very sorry about your gut punches. They do hurt. But like that bloodied crawling last woman alive, we do survive, and we do go on a bit better prepared for the next one. Hope you had a good Hallow's Eve. This one has been added to that list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm embarrassed to say I just now realized I hand not yet responded to this wonderful comment. Thank You! Thank you so much for your support and words of encouragement - particularly the bloodied woman crawling back. Because that's what it felt like sometimes. I don't plan on going anywhere! I realized today that Horror Habit is turning 10 years old today and I was all, "hell yeah, you bad ass project of mine". Hope you continue to follow and I hope I'm able to continue to provide new movies to your list!

      Delete
    2. That is, I realized *today* Horror Habit turns 10 years old (in September) 😆

      Delete