Saturday, October 10, 2026

Braindead aka Dead Alive (1992)

October Challenge Day 10

The other day I went to Scarecrow Video, as it was rent one get one free day, and browsed through their staff's hand-picked Halloween choices. 

I found three I hadn't seen before and then I saw this film:

Braindead aka Dead Alive

I have seen this gruesome film before and thoroughly enjoyed it! Even added it to my 2018 50 Movies You May Have Missed List!

So I decided to re-watch it and took my selection to the front desk for check out. It was discovered then, that they were actually out of this film and it was a mix-up. 

Now, this was not a problem for me, I had seen the film already anyway and saw others I could check out. Except, the staff alerted me there was one more edition available. 

Okay, fine, I'll check that one out then. A DVD was then pulled from the back of the store.

As they were checking me out, the clerk added "Oh, and there is a $200 deposit for this", pointing to Braindead.

Me: Say what now?

I love my local non-profit video store. I love all the work they did to get me a copy. I said, "Okay".

And that was a first for me! Flushing out $200 to *rent a movie*. There is a first for everything! Apparently I rented a 2001 foreign and out of print edition!

*(Update: I later found that I had watched the German Cut or Blood Edition, of this film.)*

My brother looked at me and said "Don't break it". Such a bro thing to say to his big sister...

But this really is such a boy film. I wish I had better words. It's just so gross, over the top, gnarly, reckless, goofy, grotesquely comical, absolutely hilarious, visually over-the-top, inappropriate, vaudevillian, and did I mention GROSS GROSS GROSS?

Don't forget the dialogue which has such gems as: "I kick ass for the lord!" (slays me every time). 

This is the story of a New Zealand young man, living with his overbearing mother - a mother who is bit by a monster monkey at the zoo and turned into the living dead.

Absolute. And I mean, Absolute Mayhem proceeds. 

I watched this film first thing on a Saturday morning. May I suggest, perhaps, an evening watch, long after a meal. 

This film is so fun, the body horror and practical effects are exquisite - TOP TIER - and you can't help but find the entire film wildly entertaining. Hell, there's even a love story! Something for everyone!

I rented this film from Scarecrow, or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this cult classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment