Monday, October 1, 2018

50 Horror Movies You May Have Missed (vol. 4)

Welcome to the fourth annual mega list of movies you may have missed! Hurrah for more movies, movies and lists!

So, without further ado and to welcome in this year's October Challenge, I present:

50 Horror Movies You May Have Missed (vol. 4)
Because there will be more. Oh yes, there will be more.


1922: A sinister and chilling story about a man and his family, or rather, a man perhaps a little more interested in his farm than his family... This movie gave me the damn creeps. CREEPS. Not at all surprised to see the original story is written by the great Stephen King. This slow burn and downright sad story might also give you the creepy crawlies. Pairs with a tall, cool glass of water.


A View from a Hill: Looking to curl up to a spooky little story about some haunted artifacts? Then look no further! I'm a huge fan of Victorian-era ghost stories, and if you are too then you don't want miss this one. Originally written by yet another fantastic horror novelist, H.R. James, this ghostly tale will take you to a crumbling British estate and leave you there - mentally and emotionally. Cold, atmospheric, and chilling, I highly recommend this one for fans of ghost stories told around the campfire.


Alien: Resurrection: I'm not sure why some people don't like this film - the 4th of the Alien series. I thought it was fun and frightening, especially the monster at the end. Shut The Front Door with that madness. Folks, that monster still scares me (over 20 years after first seeing it). If you loved Alien and Aliens, and haven't given this one a shot yet, then I highly recommend giving it a try - for the monster (I'm using that word on purpose) at the end alone, at the very least. You can read more in my review here.

All The Kind Strangers: This made for TV film really struck me. It's unsettling, very unsettling. For instance, there's a pivotal car ride towards the beginning of the film that left me with no small amount of anxiety. This anxiety was building all because of the road conditions. Road conditions. From there the edge of your seat experience blossomed. Sad, chilling, and original - this is a good pick for a dark and stormy night alone.

The Autopsy of Jane Doe: Speaking of a great film for a dark and stormy night alone... if you're into that sort of thing then you don't want to miss this one! What could possibly go wrong in a basement morgue on a dark and stormy night when an unidentified body rolls in? All the things go wrong - and in all surprisings ways. Stellar spooks abound, here. You can read more in my review here.


Baskin: A co-worker recommend this Turkish beauty to me, and it took me months to finish. I kept starting it, found it too disturbing or not a good fit for the mood I was in at the time, and had to return to it later, again and again. This film is MADNESS in action. Gross, gross, unsettling madness at every turn. Pairs with a strong constitution. You might want to watch this on a sunny afternoon if you're not ready to go to some really dark places.

The Beyond: Speaking of weird and wild, you know anything directed by Lucio Fulci won't let you down! This is one of my favorites of his (The House By The Cemetery being another). This film is also a madhouse - doesn't help the madness that this house is built upon the entrance to HELL. As with almost any Fulci film, expect crazy gore, effects, and a somewhat confusing but still entertaining story line.

The Blood Beast Terror: Looking for some classic British screams, and perhaps some Peter Cushing goodness, then look no further! Stocked full with the delightful elements of a 1960's creature feature, combined with decent acting and and an absorbing plot, this is a good film for the family or a pleasent afternoon little horror movie fest. Paris with cozy clothes, mimosas, and snack food.

Cat People: I'm referring to the original film here, from 1942 - not the 1982 version (I haven't seen that one yet). I love classic horror films, love them. I particularly love this one because of the originality, especially for the time. A woman's budding sexuality turns her into a killer cat. Killer CAT! Sure, it sounds cheesy but it's beautiful executed and harbors some genuinely scary scenes (e.g., the swimming pool). Pairs with a quiet night in and alone or with a small, quiet group of people. You can read more in my review here.

Cemetery Man: How this film has continuously escaped Top 10 zombie lists is beyond me. Released in 1994, this movie was far ahead of its time for clever, shady comedy zombie films. Surreal, funny, graphic and sensual - let this cemetery caretaker take you on an adventure you'll never forget. Best watched late at night, alone. At least for the first viewing. Pairs with beer.

Conjoined: Speaking of clever, shady comedy films... this film had me bellowing in laughter. This is a perfect pick for a group movie night where not everyone is into 'horror' but everyone loves comedy. What is a man to do when the love of his life has a conjoined twin that also happens to be a serial killer? Laugh with the blood splatter, that's what you do. You can read more in my review here.


The Creeping Flesh: Turn you're evening with The Blood Beast Terror/Peter Cushing into a double feature with this fantastic film! Folks, the creature in this film is honestly quiet scary. Here a scientific discovery turns deadly when bones come back to life... I still stand by my review: "Remarkable performances by all, stunning effects, incredibly twisted story, and with an even more twisted end, this is one for the ages and Must Experience for anyone who thinks they've seen it all in the creature feature realm." Read more in my review here.

Dead Alive: Before Peter Jackson brought us the stories of Middle Earth, he made this marvel of the macabre. After one bite from a rat-monkey, this mad mama goes on a killing spree that ends in more blood, guts, laughs, and mayhem than you could possibly imagine. The gore here is over the top and all over the place. I cannot stress this enough. This
movie is great for a gathering. Plenty of booze encouraged.

Dead Snow: I hate nazis - so what's worse than real nazis? F*cking Zombie Nazis. Here a group of Norwegians, traveling on a seemingly normal vacation, suddenly finding them themselves battling the undead... and laughs, gore, and madness. I love that this film came out of Norway. I watched this with a group of my best friends and I highly recommend you do the same! Bring plenty of food, booze, and wear the PJs. F*ck nazis.

The Gift: I saw this film in the theater when it first came out, and for some reason I haven't seen it since - but I can't forget it!!! It honestly haunted me. I loved it. Not sure why I haven't see this one top any spooky movie lists, though. It's smart, slick, engrossing, endearing, and has a pretty intense ending.  Here a psychic is recruited to find a missing woman - and someone knows she *knows* what happened. Perfect for a those not into gore horror or simply prefer the thrill of a Thriller.


Ginger Snaps: So very few really good werewolf films out there, but thank goodness for this goodness! A werewolf is roaming the Canadian suburbs and one unfortunate young lady comes across it - making her high school years terribly interesting. Gore, guts, and glory abound in this devilishly humorous gem. Fans of May surely don't want to miss this one. Pairs with snack food.

Grabbers: Speaking of devilish humor... Here an Irish pub is overrun by giant alien creatures and the only thing keeping everyone out of its clutches is a good pint. Outstandingly funny and stock full of a great effects, creatures, and cast of characters, this is a great choice for a movie night with friends. Pairs with beer, lots and lots of beer. Read more in my review here.

Happy Death Day: Ignore the cheesy title, this movie is kick ass. Here a woman relives the day she dies until she can stop the killer - a murder mystery Groundhogs Day style. Funny thing, when I first started the film up I was like, "Wait, haven't I seen this film already?" I seriously thought I'd seen it but have no recollection where or when. In any case, I found it to be really fun, funny, and very clever. Pairs with cupcakes.

The Head: This is a bizarre and rather shocking 1959 film out of West Germany. Here a mad scientist has discovered a way to keep a head alive after the body has passed, and his theory is put to the true test when his own head is cut off... Surprisingly intriguing and eerily macabre, I highly recommend you check this one out if you're into classic/sometimes B-horror/foreign films.

Hound of the Baskervilles: I haven't seen very many versions of this tale, so it's hard for me to say if this is the best version - but I can say it's really, really good! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Peter Cushing makes his third appearance on this list by staring as Sherlock Holmes - doing some of his best Sherlockness by trying to solve the mystery of a giant, killer, demon dog. This is a great classic that you don't want to miss. Pair with expensive whiskey. You can read more in my review here.

The House In Marsh Road: Here's a classic that many have probably missed, but if you're a fan of spooky little classics wrapped in delicious little stories to both cool and warm your evening then you don't want to miss this one. What could possibly go wrong when a cheating husband plots to murder his wife: In A Haunted House?! Well, revenge horror fans might know... Pairs with dirty martinis and anything that screams OH SNAAAAAAP.

The Innkeepers: Now, I have seen this film topping some You May Have Missed lists, but I thought I would add it too just in case - just to reiterate how good it is. I stumbled upon this one expecting a somewhat spooky but overall Alright film. I was wrong, it totally surprised me, was downright very spooky, and takes a haunted hotel story to a whole new level. Slow, creepy crawly, and pregnant with menacing dread, you don't want to miss this one on cold, dark night.


It Comes At Night: Speaking of slow, creepy crawly, and pregnant with menacing dread - if you're looking for all that three fold, then look no further. I straight up needed a hot shower after seeing this. A hot shower and a hug. You'll likely be left with more questions than answers, but I can almost assure you that it will mess you up. Although not a horror film for every horror fan, I still strongly suggest checking this one out for the suspense
experience alone. Watch alone, in a completely dark room.

Kill List: This one came heavily recommended to me, and I'm so glad I listened. Or rather, if you're into (more) films that require a hot shower and hug afterwards (like I am), then here's another top pick. What could possibly go wrong when a hitman goes on his 'one last hit'? Everything. Violent and threatening, cold and calculating, with an intense and shocking end on top of an overwhelming disturbing setting, this is a hard film to watch but great for horror aficionados.

The Killing of Satan aka Lumaban ka, Satanas: This was my introduction to Filipino horror. I am way, way, way behind in my knowledge here and I'm looking forward to seeing more. Although, I have a very strong feeling this is certainly not one of the best out there, it certainly is fun. Really fun. Here we have a jean-jacket wearing hero with powers bestowed upon him by God, ready to fight all sorts of evils. By all sorts, I mean all sorts of very entertaining creatures. Great for a movie night with family or friends. Beers encouraged.

Last Shift: I typically pass up films because I judge them by their cover. The more over-the-top the image, the more certain I am that it will be a waste of my time. I passed up this film up MANY times - until a little something in my gut told me to give it a try. Right as rain, the gut knows. I still really dislike this image though. Folks, this is a surprisingly - shockingly - scary film. I also really enjoyed the setting: lone cop, first day on the job, is set to manage the last night/shift of an old police station before it closes for good. Who came up with this? Why do I feel it is inspired by an actual experience. Watch alone, late at night, and pairs with coffee in a paper cup. You can read more in my review here.

Lisa: I watched this film religiously in the early 1990's, when when I was a very young teenager myself, such as our Lisa. I haven't really seen it since, so I can't exactly say how *good* it is, but it struck me and I still think of it to this day (with shivers). Here young, naive Lisa befriends - through phone calls - a much older, mysterious man. Obviously, things get ugly, quick. Although released in 1989, its horror story is still so relevant today. Uncomfortably so...

Little Evil: Let's shake off the all too common, real horrors for a moment and dive head first into a hilarious film about a devil-possessed child. Cheeky, cute, heart-warming, and just silly fun, this is a great pick for non-horror fans looking to zone out from a busy day. Here we have the story of a stepfather trying really hard to connect with his stepson, only to come face to face with the fact that this little tot is the devil's spawn. A natural belly buster, am I right? Trust me, it is.

Lyle: And now we're right back to the hot showers and hugs. This 65 minute film packs in an alarming amount of cringe binges and crawling in the corners. The story sounds familiar though: someone has some sinister plans for a pregnant woman's unborn child... Don't fret, you haven't seen anything quite like this and I can almost guarantee you haven't seen Gaby Hoffmann quite like this. Curl up in a blanket, hold tight, expect to experience some internal screaming.

Motel Hell: Where do I begin with this comedic gem of 1980's horror? Let's start with comedic gem of 1980's horror. This wild and wacky ride through the countryside is stupidly fun. Here a quirky farm down the road has some curious ideas about crops and recipes... The tag line also never gets old for me: "It takes all kinds of critters to make Farmer Vincent's Fritters". An absolute must watch for movie night with friends. You can read more in my review here.

The Night of the Hunter: Okay, again - so this isn't "horror" but it should be. A terrible man is hunting and terrorizing children. How is this not categorized as Horror, or at the very least a Thriller. It is in the Film-Noir category though and rightly so. This classic (sometimes seen on some top 10 lists), will make your skin crawl. Prep the hot shower.

Nomads: I think it took me a good couple of years to really appreciate this quiet, haunting gem. There is just something about this film that felt like a bad taste in my mouth, something was off, or an annoyingly tilted picture on the wall, a pebble in the shoe, etc. This is a horror story that is mixed with all sorts of horror stories and it feels WEIRD. Here we have a man that is tracking a group of strange teens that seem to be following him. Sounds 'innocent' enough, but then rabbit holes begin to appear. You can read more in my review here.

Not Wanted: Drama rama! You're welcome, horror fans! Welcome to the 1940's where having a child out of wedlock equaled Total Damnation! Shunned from society! Isolated! The shame!! And that's just a few reasons this is on the horror list, because society is f*ing horrible and horrifying sometimes. Things get worse in this story though. Our poor soul here is so traumatized by the shaming experience that she begins looking for the child ripped from her hands, only to end up wandering aimlessly ... eyeing other people's children...

Onibaba: Nightmares abound in this Japanese classic. Here a mother-in-law and her daughter-in-law do what they can to survive during a civil war. They will do what ever they can... This is a sensual and moralistic tale that will take you to a dark place among the wind and reeds. You can read more in my review here.

Pieces: I really don't have a lot of slashics on this list it seems - so here you go! Here a familiar story plays out: a killer is on the loose on campus and taking out the ladies (as well as some of their parts...). This movie is insane and probably best watched with friends and cold cans of beer. Get into your jim jams, grab a blanket, snag the best seat on the couch, and prepare for a stupidly fun blood bath.

Pitch Black: How do I love thee, let me count the ways. Folks, I absolutely love this film. It scares the bejesus out of me every time. Sci-fi all the way but with all the nightmares of earth-bound monsters, here we have a ship that crashes into a planet with terribly frightening creatures hiding in the dark. Oh and that very long eclipse is coming. Best as a late night movie, slather the butter on that popcorn, and strap on for a ride through creaturefeatureville.

Red State: I still stand by my statement, in my review of this film: "Wow wow wow. This film is kinda of amazing. Wholeheartedly amazed, shocked, surprised, entertained and appalled." I approached this film with all the wrong ideas and was blown away (pun intended/not intended) by the entire watching experience. I really don't understand why some people do not like this film, or rather I don't understand the reasons why some people don't like this film (boring, slow, lame story, etc). Those reviewers doth protest too much, methinks. Watch it at least once. You can read more in my review here.

Repulsion: I'm going to go ahead and call this an art house horror film about sexual repression. There, make your decision from that statement if it's one you want to see. This film's entire experience is raw, unconventional and very uncomfortable. In a word: Psychotic, if you will, but I can't possibly prepare you for how psychotic. Also, rather than a hot shower and hug afterwards, perhaps go for along walk alone in the cold and the wind. Pairs with water and a small dish of rotting vegetables, a side of rabbit.

Roar: Oh lord, howdy - where can I even begin with this one. It's a movie about giant cats doing giant cat things... Here a father brings his family into his remote village home that he shares with hundreds of wild giant cats. Insanity ensues. Someone called this film the most expensive home movie ever made, and the tag line states: "No animals were harmed in the making of this film. 70 cast and crew members were." These statements are both true. You can read more in my review here.

The Sadist: I'm still surprised how little I hear about this film in the horror/thriller world. I'm also still surprised that it was made in 1963, with teenage darling Arch Hall Jr. staring as the sadist. Based on actual events (about serial killers Charles Starkweather and Caril Fugate), this nightmare focuses on what happens when a seemingly normal drive to to see a ballgame ends in a hostage situation. This is a really intense film and should not be approached lightly.

Strangers In The Night: Is it a dark stormy night outside? Are you in the mood to curl up to a cozy black and white spooky classic? Just have an hour to spare? Then let me gladly introduce you to this beauty! Typical of 1940's film-noir, this one has the 'good guy', the 'mystery person', and 'the girl'. But this one is unusual in story line and it has a lady medical doctor, who is, naturally, shunned by polite society - creating an unusual twist of characters for the era. Highly recommended for horror fans looking for more mystery than gore. Pairs with tea and cozy blankets.


Stung: What happens when genetically mutated wasps descend upon an elite garden party? Hilarity and mega kill scenes, that's what! Set your seriousness aside but still tune in to the message with this side-splitting splatter fest. Although there is still a lot being said about science, money, power, and responsibility, there is also a bounty of witty dialog, great acting, and good fun. This is a good pick for a movie night with your smart ass best friend.

Suck: Speaking of movies with a message! Bonus: this has a killer soundtrack! Here we have a super fun film that follows a mediocre traveling band who come across another traveling band ... of vampires! What's the message with this film? Well, some might argue there is none - it's just a fun and funny film. I say there is a strong undercurrent warning of the dangers of drug use and addiction. Take it or leave it, the film is just simply, positively enjoyable. You can read more in my review here.

Unearthed and Untold: The Path to Pet Sematary: Attention fans of Pet Sematary, you absolutely don't want to miss this labor of love. This documentary is simply fantastic! Done, that's all you need to know. Lighthearted, eye opening, endearing, and bursting with love for the film and the making of it, if you're looking for a documentary that won't point out how much the world is a terrible place sometimes, then this is what your heart needs. You'll also be pumped to watch the movie again.

The Watcher In The Woods: It's been way too long since I've seen this film, but I still can't forget certain scenes of it from when I first saw it in the late 1980's. I have put this film on this list for that specific reason. I've only seen it once, nearly 30 years ago, and still certain scenes haunt me. Sure, this film is catered to children, and sure it's a Disney film, but some might argue it's one of the scariest Disney/children's films out there.

What Lies Beneath: Everyone has films they love for some unexplainable reason, or they have a reason and just delight in it all regardless. The comfort food, the ugly favorite pajamas, etc., it just makes you happy, other opinions be damned. That is this film for me. It's not an *excellent* film but damnit I love it. I love the settings, the mood, the story, the ending - all of it. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way about this little ghost story, and that's pretty much why this movie is on this list. It's a good film, it's a good film for your comfort food soul, and it's a solid ghost story. You can read more in my review here.

Whistle and I'll Come to You: Make your M.R. James night with A View From A Hill a double feature night with yet another one hour spooky story written by Mr. James himself. Although this movie version is slightly different from the James story, it's still excellent and, well, sad. This is a bone-chilling, heart-breaking love story. If you love the Gothic/Victorian ghost story style, then this is a must for you.

The Wraith: Oh yeah! Fast cars, bad guys, good guys, and pure 1980's entertainment! Here a mysterious, handsome, young man strolls into a dusty rural town and takes his aim at destroying the town bullies. It's good, it's bad, it's fun, it's funny (unintentionally, I think) and overall, this is a great pick for a tubular movie night with friends. Pairs with favorite foods, favorite drinks, and favorite people. You can read more in my review here.


Zombi 2 aka Zombie: Turn your Lucio Fulci movie night with The Beyond into a fantastic double feature night with this outrageous film! I can guarantee you that you'll never see a zombie film quite like what Fulci pulls off. Stamp and sealed: guarantee. Here we have a remote island that is overrun with zombies, hungry, hungry, maggot riddled, zombies. Do you need to know more? Pairs with an overindulgence of your favorite crap food.

Zoombies: What happens when a strange virus strikes down a bunch of zoo animals - turning them into ... ZOMBIES?! Oh yeah, sh*t hits the fan, that's what. Set aside those serious faces and buckle up for a hilariously entertaining ride through a safari blood bath. You can read much, much more in my review here.

No comments:

Post a Comment