Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Thirteen Women (1932)

October Challenge Day 2:

It was a dark night last night. Surprisingly dark, menacing, and dreary - perfect atmosphere for curling up on the couch to a black and white classic!


Let me introduce you to the very surprising Thirteen Women. (Note, not 13 Women, as I've made the mistake of searching for this film by...)

Folks, wow. So many different wows. I'll explain.  

First of all, I found this film daring and shocking in many ways:

Subject: elite sorority women are being menaced by horoscopes (that's right, horoscopes) suddenly arriving in the mail, informing them of their unavoidable and untimely death. 

Race and Religion: Ah, I'd like to blame a lot of things on the ignorance of 1932 but seeing as we've recently had the Ghost In The Shell nonsense AND this movie dives even deeper into culture, religion, and race topics - and... it gets real right quick. Right quick. The ending of this film deserves a whole hell of a lot of conversation.

Costumes: These f*cking costumes are AMAZING. Holy sh*t. I was gobsmacked by these outfits and I honestly can say I've never said that about costumes in any film. Ever.

Money and Power: It's never made clear why these woman have so much money, power, and no longer have husbands. As one woman said to the other, essentially, "Why don't you get married again?" and the other responds with "Not going to make that mistake again." In fact, throughout the film, husbands and men are toys, a nuisance, or unnecessary. Mind blown - considering this was 1932.

Bullying and Privilege: Well. Let's just say the conversations needed in 1932 are still needed in 2018. Very much so. This whole film is a walking, talking, much needed conversation!

In all, this spooky little feature packs a lot into its surprising story line. A Lot.

But that's not all!!

This film was recommended to me by a fan of my Roku channel, asking if I could show it. Sadly, I don't yet have access to this film but I was intrigued, so I did a little digging....

Now, folks. I'm a huge paranormal fan. My research into this realm is never ending. So, naturally, I knew all about the haunting at the Hollywood sign in Los Angeles. I knew the story is that an aspiring starlet jumped to her death after a failed career. I knew of the stories that rumored her ghost terrorized trespassing teens and unsuspecting visitors. I even knew the legend was based on fact, and her name is: Peg Entwistle.

What I did not know was that Thirteen Women helped prompt that terrible leap.

Peg, just 24, had determined dreams to make it in Hollywood. Although already a successful stage actress - she wanted the silver screen. Finally her first chance came as a supporting access in Thirteen Women. Shortly after the release of this film, however, the reviews of her performance came in and they were, apparently, negative. 

Depression and alcohol crawled deep into her bones one night not long after the release and those bastards did not let go. She left a note apologizing she didn't do it sooner.

I'd like to send a message to Peg right now. 

I thought you did great! I do not understand how or why anyone could have given your performance anything but a glowing review. Your scenes were too short, that's my only complaint. You weren't given enough time. On and off the screen. 

Sister, you don't need to be haunting that sign anymore. Be free.

If anyone needs help at anytime, please reach out. Her name was dragged across the papers - a tragic story that sold. No one deserves that and there is help. There is always help: National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255. 

Peace and keep talking.

Peg Entwistle

No comments:

Post a Comment