Thursday, October 18, 2018

The Witch in the Window (2018)

October Challenge Day 18

Three days ago I was watching a loved one hold on to life by a thread, and they very nearly lost their grasp. Today I received a call from them - they used all their strength to whisper over the line: "I'm sorry."

A torrential downpour of tears and every variety of emotions took my breath away.

It was a tremendously emotional day, to say the least. Tremendously emotional. So much so that I felt like I could sleep for three days, and it was only 3:00 PM. Instead I got home, sat in the living room chair and very nearly fell asleep at 5:00 PM. The cats made sure sleep was not happening that early, so instead I decided it was time to try and watch a horror movie.

Scrolling through the latest horror movie news, I came across a film that I noticed was just released today on the Shudder channel! This film was apparently plucked from the film festival circuit and is now, as of October 18th, showing exclusively on Shudder. Ladies and gentlemen, I present: The Witch In The Window.


I don't recall the last time I watched a movie on 'opening night'. I often wait weeks to see a film when it comes out in theaters. I hate the ticket lines, really crowded theaters, and generally I prefer that the hype chills for a bit. Hell, I don't even like going into a museum exhibit if there are more than five people in there at time. I love people, I have a tremendous love for people. I just don't like too many of them near me.

So when I saw that it was a movie 'opening night' that I could enjoy from the living room chair that I could barely move from, all while trying to wrap my heart and mind around the day's overwhelming heart bursts, I was more than happy to continue to sit there and let my mind melt into the safe world of stories and make-believe.

As in almost all my movie choices, I have no idea what I'm getting into aside from the occasional vague reference or description. All I knew about this film was that it was opening day and a father and son were going to bond while fixing a house together.

If you like tenderhearted spooky stories where things linger in the background to menace your idea of safety, then get this one ready in your to-watch queue!

I strongly believe that really good ghost stories are actually heartbreaking love stories under the cold, angry surface. In life and in stories. Here we have a love story. A love story about family and dysfunction. There also happens to be a pretty stellar ghost involved. Bonus: there are a few elements in this little spook factory that really, really, really surprised me.

This film was able to create some very original and disturbing scenes using nothing more than the sense of normalcy. BRILLIANT. These scenes will, in fact, haunt me. *looking directly at you 'son slowing waking up' scene*. I was most pretty blown away by this film's story telling magic.

I also just needed this type of story right now. I needed a spooky little drama/horror. I needed a place for my mind to cozy up to - in a world where loves never dies. I also needed a place where my heart could find treasures in some of the forgotten corners of our diverse emotions.

This film is not for every horror fan, but it's likely a really good choice for those looking for a ghost story that is more focused on the living.

I watched this film on Shudder, or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to locate where else you can find this heartfelt story.

No comments:

Post a Comment