Saturday, October 6, 2018

The Haunting (1963)

October Challenge Day 6

There is a crack in the soles of my shoes, and never is that crack more noticeable than when it rains. So after a night of visiting friends, walking through rain and puddles, and going through two pairs of  soaking socks, when I arrived home last night I wanted nothing more than to curl up on the couch to a spooky little tale (and some french onion soup). 

A dark, raining night simply screams blankets, soups, and spooky stories, so when it occurred to me that it's been far too long since I've seen the classic The Haunting, I knew what had to be done.


Based on (the magnificent) Shirley Jackson and her (stunning) novel, The Haunting of Hill House, this downright chilling story follows a paranormal investigator's quest to prove ghosts exists and the people he brings along for the terrifying ride.

Shirley Jackson is one of my most favorite authors. There's a chance I might even worship her a little bit... So I'm delighted beyond words at how well made this adaptation is - how well they captured the essence of her absolutely chilling atmospheres and outcomes.

Now, there are few things that *truly* frighten me in horror stories (books or film), except growling and the sound of pounding. Growling and pounding. There you are folks - that stuff scares the crap out of me. And wouldn't you know it! In the book and the film there is quite a lot of pounding! Thankfully no growling, not sure how I would have handled that. It's thanks to this story that prompted my fear of pounding! The Changling didn't help matters.

Hard to picture yourself scared of the sound of pounding? Then just help yourself to a healthy helping of this film! You know it's a well made horror feature when you are now afraid of everyday things, like doors, a spiral staircase, and pounding...

Heady, atmospheric, chilling, and jaw-dropping, this ghost story is unique and stunning in so many different ways (e.g., a people and paranormal study). Pairs with soup, tea/coffee/whiskey, and lots of blankets to curl up under. Looking to make it a double feature night? Add The Innocents (1961) to the watch list.

I rented this film. You can use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's sidebar to locate where else you can find this goose bump-riddled feature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment