Monday, April 25, 2016

Last Shift (2014)

I was flipping through Netflix the other day when I saw this film's poster image.


Eyes rolled. In my experience, poster images like this generally means that I'm going to be watching another hokey slasher film with not-so-bright naked women running around, and an absurd plot held together with a shredding string. (Don't get me wrong, I like those films too - I just take them in smaller doses, and I'm picky).

I WAS WRONG ABOUT LAST SHIFT

I'm not usually this wrong about movie posters. In fact I can remember only one other time I was this poor of a judge. Thankfully, unlike The Yellow Wallpaper experience, I was completely blown away by this film.

This is one damn fine quality horror show. It's also about evil ghosts, so that automatically bumps it up a few notches in my Yay! meter. Last Shift follows a new cop who has been assigned to work alone in the old police station - keep an eye on the place and wait for a team to remove biohazard (evidence) material so the office move is complete. Seems legit, right? No problemo. Unfortunately for her, the place is haunted with some very nasty nasty nasty spirits who are 'delighted' by her company.

I enjoyed this movie for a number of reasons. The acting is great, the plot is intriguing, the setting is superb, and the haunting elements are brilliantly effective. Damn fine quality horror show! Still don't like the poster image though. Last Shift is a smart thriller and hoarder of intense suspense, but then top it all with great dialogue, well, the poster just doesn't seem to fit/gives the wrong impression. Oh well, let this be a lesson to you - judging a book movie by it's cover is still very applicable.

If you are in the mood for a unique and yet! semi-classic and very chilling ghost story, then this one comes highly recommended.

Pairs with sandwiches with a long hair stuck in it, and what ever you can find in an old vending machine. Probably best watched alone at night, but will also work nicely with a small group and a slow cooker dish. Turn off all the lights, sit back, and be prepared to be surprised and frightened.

Here, in fact, watch this trailer - I think it will give you a better idea of what to expect:


I saw this movie on Netflix, or use the links under Find It. Watch It. on Horror Habit's side bar to locate where else you can find this creepy crawly feature.



No comments:

Post a Comment