Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Fire Island (2023)

October Challenge Day 2: 

So I was completely shocked when this film started auto playing when I wasn't paying attention... 

Let's talk about:



Folks, I about fell out of my chair when I saw this come across my screen. Because I had Just arrived from Fire Island, NY a month ago. Why did this film auto play!??!?

AND I LOVE THE SHIT OUT OF FIRE ISLAND (the actual ISLAND). So when this started playing I was obligated to sit my ass down and stay. 

When I first got off the ferry and wandered into the Cherry Grove village of Fire Island I knew I was in heaven and found my safe place. Which makes it all the more interesting that this film turned this place into a horror film ... hahahaha. 

Here were have a group of 20 somethings excited for a visit to the now near deserted island right around the height of the COVID-19 lock down era. Happy-go-lucky and excited to hug people again, these friends wander around the small island through it's dunes and unique forest - failing to notice they are being hunted by something.

Now, when I tell you Fire Island (particularly Cherry Grove) is the safest place I've ever been that's not an exaggeration. Well, I mean, you'll need to avoid the sharks, rip tides, and drunkenly falling off the boardwalks but other than that! Perfectly safe place. There aren't even cars to worry about - No Cars Allowed! Even the deer come right up to you. Don't touch them though. Ticks. 

This most personal of an expedience made this film even more humorous for me. Literally the safest place I've ever been -  I was outside showering in front of god and man, maybe I showed my breasts for a few bucks off my drinks (it is an expensive place, FYI), attending drag show after drag show - and this movie is all out here trying to tell me to be scared of the place. Lololololo

This film struggled, though. I, uh, would not call it a good film. GREAT if you are familiar with the island, however. Also note, they keep referring to another village on the island called The Pines, but most of the shots were in Cherry Grove (FYI). Also, also note, don't confuse this movie with the romantic comedy Fire Island from 2022, which is a more accurate portrayal of the Fire Island experience.

I had such a wonderful time in Fire Island I can't be mad at this film. It just brought back so many fresh, happy memories - even through all the murdering. 

Best watched with friends, on the beach or in a luxurious back yard. Pairs with lot of booze. 

I watched this film on Paramount+ or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this cheeky slasher. 

Now, please enjoy some pictures I took of Fire Island!











No comments:

Post a Comment