Thursday, October 3, 2024

Apartment 7A (2024)

October Challenge Day 3: 

When I started this film up, I legit - Legit - had no idea what I was getting into. 

I was somehow so oblivious about this film that I had no idea it was a prequel to Rosemary's Baby until about 20 minutes in. 

Let's take a moment to talk about: 




Here we have the story of Terry, who Rosemary met once and long ago in the basement laundry room. We only knew her for a minute...

And that's when I realized it's been a long time since I've seen Rosemary's Baby. We'll get back to that later...

I appreciate the originality. I really appreciated how an entire movie was made surrounding the backstory of a bit character in a Classic horror film. 

I'm sad to say that I felt a majority of the film was weak - and I have no real other term for this experience. The film felt forced and uninspired aside from depending on people who just love Rosemary's Baby. And still, I loved the idea. 

Here we have the story of down-on-her luck young woman in New York who is gifted the opportunity to move into a stellar apartment and start a new life. Who wouldn't turn that down. Unfortunately, if it's too good to be true, it usually is...

Made more spooky for me though, is that I just came back from a visit to New York City for the first time in my life and I realized I was right next to The Dakota as I was strolling Central Park...

In all, I wanted to like this film more than I did. I appreciated the work and creativity. I was disappointing by the final outcome with exception to the very end which packed a punch. 

This is worth at least one watch and I'll be curious to see how this one matures as time creeps on. 

Best watched in alone or with a small group. Pairs with soup and strange dishes that sound like they should be familiar but aren't.

I watched this film on Paramount+ or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's sidebar to see where else you can watch this classic demon story.

No comments:

Post a Comment