Wednesday, October 23, 2019

The Moose Head Over the Mantel (2017)

October Challenge Day 19

I was perusing through some of my not-often-used streaming services when I found this one for free on Pluto.

The title was all I needed to know, to know I must see it: The Moose Head Over the Mantel

AMAZING


This title feels like it's part of a therapy question. Like: how does this title make you feel?

I'll tell you! Nightmares!

I toured an old mansion in North Dakota when I was around 10. In the mansion there was one room full of animal heads. Everywhere. The taxidermy didn't fare well with one of the deer heads and I recall that it appeared as if the eyes of that deer's head was "rotted" out. Quiet seriously. It was graphic, disgusting, and was dumbstruck. I still shiver when I think of that place.

Didn't help that eight year old me was not prepared when I saw the laughing demon deer head in Evil Dead II....

Then this film shows up and not only does that childhood experience come flooding back, but the visuals this title incites is remarkably disturbing. Egads this title troubles me something fierce...

This film follows over a hundred years of one family living in the same house - with that damned moose head looming over the living room the whole time, 'watching' the generations come and go. Watching the murder, violence, and mayhem coursing through the bloodline.

What is most striking about this film is that it feels so theatrical, as in I could easily be watching this on a stage, at a late night trendy, bohemian theater. The film takes place entirely in the living room with 99% of the camera angles coming from the moose head (and a deer heard, with the occasional view from a wolf's head). I really enjoyed this originality and was shook every time it seem as if the heads were moving or jolting 'awake'.

I would call this an art house horror film - it takes serious risks and navigates by way of intensity, emotion, and heavy symbolism. The acting is also curious, possibly made more curious because of the camera angles. You can tell real heart went into the making of this feature, however. The passion is palpable - as palpable as the violence!

Now I would just like to take a moment to turn the spotlight on this film's sound effects. Dear god almighty. Someone give everyone responsible for the sound effects all the awards. All of the awards! Just - hand them all over.

I ... I don't think I'm going to get over the sounds this film emanates. Truly remarkable work and it plays such a crucial role. Dare I say: makes the film.

Overall - it's a memorable and very original film. You'll need to pay attention at all times though. Not one for the background.

Best watched alone, late at night. Pairs with drinks that you should avoid because, historically, they make you crazy.

Again, I watched this film on Pluto - try it out! It's free and pretty dang neat! Use the Find It. Watch It. links on Horror Habit's side bar to locate where else you can find this unholy film.

No comments:

Post a Comment