Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Giant from the Unknown (1958)

October Challenge Day 11

Oh I am such a SUCKER for these 1950's horror films. They are just chaos. So I'm really excited to talk about the insanity that is: 

Giant from the Unknown


Hahahaha! First of all - they know where this giant is from. It's not unknown. It's a 500 year old conquistador. Not joking. But moving on!

Okay, so this film opens with several ranchers hanging out on the main street of a small Sierra mountains town, all talking about (in great detail) the animal mutilations they are coming across. It was alarmingly graphic and then, suddenly, a Native American man comes walking up and shouts "All White Men Die!"

AND I ABOUT FELL OUT OF MY CHAIR FROM LAUGHING SO HARD

It just was out of the blue.

Aaaannndddd then the film is peppered with more racist and sexist comments from there on out, as expected from these films. 

This film is just nuts and rather more original in plot and characters than I expected. It follows some archaeologists who are trying to solve the mystery of a lost giant conquistador, and when a lightning storm comes through - it strikes in just the right spot and Boom! Something awakes...

Not at all like the personal experience I had when I spent the weekend in a small Sierra mountain town for a wedding. I just fell into a hole in the ground and everyone just laughed and laughed at me. :|

In all, this is a dated and goofy little picture show that would be a fun one for a late night with friends or watch in bed.

Pairs with camping dishes and best watched in a blanket fort. I watched this film on Hoopla or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this 'campy' feature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment