Monday, October 10, 2022

Pig (2021)

October Challenge Day 8: 

I've been running this blog for 10 years now and you know what one of my favorite, unsolicited, thoughts from the public are: 

"such and such a film is not a horror film". 

Yesterday, a dude wrote on my personal Facebook page, "I'm sorry, Jaws and Alien are not horror films". 

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

Okay, TOM. 

Whatevs

Settle down, gatekeepers. Look, the world is your oyster. Make a horror film out of ANYTHING. For instance, this hermit in the woods and his truffle pig. Let's take a look at:

Pig


The is a very original look into loss and grief. Heartbreaking, even - which is its own level of horror. 

Here we have a once world famous chef who has decided to spend the last of his years hiding in the Oregon woods, hunting for the finest truffles with his pig. 

And then some folks steal his pig and he goes on a hunt through Portland to find his beloved pig. 

That's about it! Gritty, menacing, and with a whole lot of Fight Club flare, this one is going to hit you in all the feels when you least expect it. 

So I live in Seattle and love our coastal cities - Portland, OR, Seattle, WA, and Vancouver, BC. I know them well and love everything about the Pacific Northwest. This film captured a lot of it well - particularly the feel. 

I also almost fell out of my chair when this interaction happened:

"I don't want to move to Seattle"

Nicolas Cage responds: "Fuck Seattle"

LOLOLOLOLOLOLO

Spoken like someone from Portland. Gaddam I love that city.

Haters are gonna hate and so many people will not consider this a horror film. I don't care - behold my field in which I grow my fucks and you'll see that it is barren.

This is a raw and honest film and it captures so much more than just a man looking for his pig. 

Also, don't listen to anyone who tries to tell you what is and what is not considered a horror film. Life is horror. And comedy, and romance, and thrillers - and sometimes they can all be the same thing.

Best watched alone. Pairs with pies. 

I watched this film on Hulu or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this eye-opening feature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment