Thursday, October 14, 2021

Ghostbusters (2016)

October Challenge Day 14: 

I was hanging out at home, when my brother - who lives up the street - called me to say "Have you seen the boat that's on fire!?!"

Living near the water I ran out onto my deck to check it out, only to find my brother standing on the street. No boat was on fire. A moment of silence and he said, "I can't believe it took a boat on fire to get you out of the apartment."

Another moment of silence, staring at each other, before we busted out in laughter. 

He asked what I was doing and I said, "Watching Ghostbusters. The new one." 

The anticipated stare down commenced - as we are wildly different in our love for this particular:

Ghostbusters


I've lost count of how many times I've watched this film. I LOVE IT. 

My brother hated it and I don't see the arguments ending anytime soon. 

Part of why I love it so much is the dialogue. Folks, ghosts or not, the back and forth here - and the reactions to them - is any given night at our local pub (or random adventure) with some of my best friends. At Any Given Night/Day. 

I forget the evening but I certainly had chip remnants on my chest, watching this film, completely out of f*cks, when I realized *I* am also everyone of these fine ladies. 

  • Erin (Kristen Wigg): Who I *think* I am - the professional, working in science, focused on a serious future. I pull it off on TV but deep down, I have chip remnants on my chest...
  • Jillian (Kate McKinnon): 100% who I am when I get a few drinks in me. Complete with hair styles (when friends start to style it), dance moves, and scientific theories. 
  • Patty (Leslie Jones):  Ever the historian, people will remark on that nice park and I will add: "That's the city's first cemetery. Pretty sure they moved all the bodies." I'm a proud lover of fun and necessary historical facts. Also, as a public transit rider for 20+ years - I Have Stories and got some grit. 
  • Abby (Melissa McCarthy): It always comes back to Abby. I am her, all the way. Complete with getting a little mad about soups. 

I love absolutely love this movie. Love it. I laugh out loud every time and I smile because I know these women. I mean, I don't *know* *these* women, but I know their counterparts. And I love them. 

My brother doesn't get the humor of this film, and there I am laughing my ass off. I'm loving every joke and every tribute to the original. 

Two men recently told me that some men don't like funny women. I was shocked, and then made a joke about it. But this rattles around in my head as I remember the reception of this film.  This is a very sharp, smart funny film, full of funny women...

I give my brother a super hard time all time time and he finds my jokes painful. So it seems the fight continues but I will not stop being funny AF (I'm a lot funnier in person). 

To you weird men who don't like funny women, know I am laughing. At you.

I love this film. Best watched with your best ladies. Pairs with wanton soup. If someone randomly says "You'll die in there" bonus points.

I own this movie, or use the Find It! Watch It! or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this Horror Habit favorite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment