Wednesday, October 6, 2021

The Voices (2014)

October Challenge Day 6:

Oh dear. This ...  this film is a doozy. 



I enjoy horror comedies - a lot - but this one ran a fine line between humor and horror. I don't know how else to explain it. 

As I've said before, my degree is in behavioral science, and when I noticed what started out as an adorkable shalsher film was quickly becoming sad and scary, I actually was pretty unnerved watching the spectical before me. 

This is a frightening film because of the realism of mental illness. This one takes viewers on a terrifying trip through the mind of someone suffering. 

It's a classic tale about a young man, just trying to get by in life, talking to his dog and cat ... who talk back ...

He tries to do a good job at work, move on from his past, and looking for love and purpose, but those pesky voices start to get in the way - to a brutal and bloody degree. 

Loaded with symbolism and laughs when you don't want to, this film, in the end, is rough. The ending credits making it more mendbending and uncomfortable.  

It's a really decent film that can be incredibly difficult to watch when you look deeper into the story. 

You might even cry a little bit. For the sadness and horror of it all. 

The mental and physical suffering of people REALLY upsets me. Long time followers of Horror Habit will likely take note of the suffering I watched my now deceased husband go through. 

F*CKING ROUGH! 

My degree and experience doesn't shield me from being deeply moved by what I can now observe with better calculation and profound empathy - which could be a part of the reason I was pretty shook by this film. Particularly when medication and therapy was there to help but he didn't want it. He didn't like who he was on it. I know that *voice* and logic well. 

In all, this film was disturbing to me, and I enjoyed the story it shared and how it was shared. 

Best watched alone but with the knowledge you can watch it with others. Pairs with cereal and Chinese food. 

I watched this film on HBO or use the Find! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this soul crushing feature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment