Tuesday, October 26, 2021

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1980)

October Challenge Day 25

A friend of mine and I have a years *years* long inside joke about Jeff Goldblum. My shower curtain has a picture of him on it. 

So solid is our inside joke that she asked me to bring my shower curtain to her wedding so that it could be used as a background for photos. 

You know the level of love and laughing so hard is strong when you're asked to bring your shower curtain to a wedding ... for photos.

So when she alerted me to this made-for-TV gem, I knew what had to happen. This film needed to be seen:

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

And folks, it is exactly as expected!!! Bonus: Jeff Goldblum is all Jeff Goldblum.

I love this story, it's a particular favorite of mine in the realms of Americana legend and just a tickler of a tale. This is also a perfect cozy cuddler of a movie as Halloween approaches. 

Here we have Goldblum playing the classically awkward Ichabod Crane - of which he does a hilariously good job. Naturally, he makes enemies with the town bully and we just roll from there with a headless ghost on the loose. 

What I could not stop laughing about with this film, is how it seemed everyone was just shouting all the time. Just, that's how they spoke, by shouting. 

LOLOLOLOLOLOLO

Oddly enough, everyone seemed totally miscast for this film except for Goldblum, which is another thing I'll just continue to laugh at. All Of The Time. 

One last interesting feature about this film, that really leant it some curious credit, is that this story takes place with snow on the ground (rather than Autumn leaves, etc). I honestly can't put a finger on it but this really sticks out to me as a striking feature that makes this particular retelling quite interesting. 

In all this is a really great film for the whole family. Dated? Absolutely. Sometimes painfully, but still a quiet little classic that sits unnoticed on many shelves. 

Best watched with loved ones. Pairs with the most Autumn/oncoming Winter things you can think of. All of it. All of the snuggly things. 

I watched this film on YouTube or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this bizarre little gem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment