Saturday, October 23, 2021

Darling (2015)

October Challenge Day 22

I had my eye on this one for a while, particularly because I found the poster image so captivating - but that was also my hesitation. This poster looked *too* good...

I was right. 

Let's check out:

Darling


I'm sad to report that I tried really hard to like this film. Really hard. I absolutely did not care for it. The blood bath scenes though - spot on, nicely done!

The rest of it - eeks. 

Now, I appreciate art house horror, especially in the 1950s and '60s style, such as Dementia and Repulsion. And this one tried, I can see that, but it missed the crispness, the actual edge. 

I'm also sad to report that I can't specify exactly what or where so much went wrong, but I know my eye started twitching during the opening scenes. 

Here we have a young woman who begins to unravel while house sitting in a supposedly haunted mansion. 

Oh, I think my eye began to twitch when it was said this home was the oldest in New York... and I'm a architectural history fanatic...

Good news! Some people will love this movie. While this review is not nice, I would encourage everyone to check out this experimental piece at least once. You might like it!

Additionally, the blood bath and detail to dismemberment was alarmingly good. In all, no, I did not like this film and found it an experiment in artistic realms, it is also for these reasons that I give it nod of appreciation.

Best seen on a grey weekend afternoon, alone, pairs with a few cigarettes and gin (I still cringe at the idea people just take shots of gin... I'm seriously alarmed at this specific detail of the film). 

I watched this film on Hoopla or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this art house horror. 

No comments:

Post a Comment