Thursday, October 14, 2021

Demon Seed (1977)

October Challenge Day 13

Ah yes, this film asks the big questions that have plagued humanity since the beginning:

What would happen if an incel douche canoe was turned into a smart home device? Let's take a dive into:

Demon Seed


My, my, my - this one suprised me. And disgusted me. And was weird. 

Here we have a scientist building a super computer, and lives in the world's first smart house. Complete with a "camera doorbell", an "Alexa" that answers questions, plays music on command AND make drinks, along with a slew of other "smart" things that make life at home a tech marvel. 

Husband and wife are seperating though, and he is leaving the house to her despite her reservations. 

She was right to be cautious, as the house and all it's devices have been taken over by the super computer, and it wants her to have it's child...

This this an alarmingly claustrophobic film, and I found myself irate at the machine's "logic". 

This gaslighting, narcissistic, abusive, and irrational thing had my blood boiling. So, the movie is effective in getting my heart racing! 

Disturbing - despite the totally outrageous plot - this film is legit disturbing. Also, while you'll have a good chuckle at the dated technology, it's also pretty impressive the level of similarities with what is available now. 

You will probably laugh at the psychedelic imagery, intended to give a "tech" experience.  I did, but it comes with the edgy 1970's territory.  

In all, this film is upsetting. Particularly by the end. 

Best watched alone, with all your smart devices listening. Pairs with tea and an Extremely healthy breakfast.  

I watched this film on Hoopla or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to locate where else you can find this science gone bad feature. 


No comments:

Post a Comment