Wednesday, October 11, 2023

An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe (1970)

October Challenge Day 11

OH MY!

I never knew I NEEDED to see Vincent Price perform four Edgar Allen Poe stories in theatrical form, but I know now. I'm better for this experience. Let's take a look at:



Okay, so some people are Shakespeare folks. Some are Gilbert and Sullivan folks. Some others are opera, ballet, etc. folks. As a theater kid - I Am All These Folks. I love the theater, was pretty good in theater - went to state for some performances, made people laugh wildly for others, sang for a few, went pretty much naked for a few others, and even wrote a short play and had it performed. 

I love The Theater!

What I was not expecting when I popped in this film was how I lost my breath watching Vincent Price perform on what felt like my personal stage. Melted. What a talent. Marvelous man.

This is not your typical film and it's not your typical play. It's a one man show, speaking on behalf of Edgar Allen Poe.

I am a Poe fan, by the way. Big time. Don't care much for H.P. Lovecraft. His works feel more narcissistic while Poe's feel's more sympathetic - additionally, I trust Lovecraft's horrible history more, and distrust the light Poe has historically been painted in. 

I can't help but shake the thought that Price felt the same when he portrayed his characters here. Passionate, heartbroken, mad, and lost, there is heart here in the relaying of these stories - all on a stage platform. 

Overall, love it! Love this. If you also love the theater then don't miss this! 

Best watched in your best theater attire. Alone or with a best theater friend, on a dark, late, night. Pairs with wine, drama, and decay. 

I rented this film from Scarecrow Video. Or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's sidebar to see where else you can find this absolutely stunning feature.  

No comments:

Post a Comment