Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Melancholia (2011)

October Challenge Day 22


[Drags hands down the face] Uuuuggggghhhh! Why do I watch Lars von Trier films???? [cries]

Let's take a look at: 




Okay. Deep breath. Let's talk about this film. 

On the surface, here we have the story about a woman getting married as a giant new planet is plunging through space, directly towards Earth. People are just going about their lives, mostly confident that the planet will miss Earth, but this new bride here is not so sure ....

Deep down though, this can arguably be a deeper, darker, look into depression, anxiety, avoidance behavior, selfishness, emotional abuse, and overall - a nice collection of lies and fears we tell ourselves.

Fun times!

The wedding scene, which is a significant part of the movie, gave me non stop severe anxiety (which I think is the point, and some of the things von Trier does best). I just wanted to make it stop - just bring the planet now.

What really struck me, personally, was how much I recognized myself in this new bride when she just accepted the world is going to end. More rather, my reactions when COVID-19 lock downs began. I was calm as hell! Wasn't even phased, just "Yup. Sounds about right" and I picked up cross-stitching as a peaceful new hobby. 

What I'm trying to say, I think, is that this is a very curious study into how people react when their world falls down around them. Sometimes it's welcomed ... in a strange and freeing way.

I don't know what else to say about this film. It's going to effect people in all sorts of different way, and I am going to caution watching this if you suffer from severe depression. This is a beautiful film and everyone and everything is mesmerizing, but ... watch at your own emotional peril. 

Best watched while hiding in a kitchen cupboard (or other favorite hiding-from-the-world spot). Pairs with your comfort food.  

I watched this film on Peacock or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this heartbreaking feature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment