Friday, October 27, 2023

Gummo (1997)

October Challenge Day 25


Why do I do this to myself? Why do I watch these "dramas" - these unnameable horrors about life? Uhhhhhhgggg. Let's check out:



Okay, okay - well, this film revolves around a small, impoverished, town that never really recovered after a deadly tornado passed through years ago. 

It just gets more depressing and harrowing from there. 

Here we have the tale of a handful of residents - mostly kids - just trying to make it in life, in a world where the future looks even worse than the past. How do they deal with this bleak future? By making it worse with their destruction, ignorance, and lack of support or direction. Worse still, they accept giving up. There is a *thriving* there....

Folks, there is so much cat killing in this film I almost could't make it. It was the eating spaghetti in a nasty ass tub full of triply nasty ass water that really takes you over the edge by the end, though. This film is so rough you barely notice someone casually getting murdered?? Did I see that right?

In all, through this soul crushing story, there is beauty here. The harsh beauty only some will find as beautiful. It actually reminded me a lot of my rural South Dakota upbringing. The towns there shared an alarming amount of similarities to this one. Even the parties looked the same as some of the one's I attended in high school. Still can't believe some of the floors I used to sleep on ....

This film smells and feels like vomit, mixed with a synthetic berry scent that's radiating from either the refrigerator or bathroom. But it's okay because the dialog is pure poetry to all the senses. 

Enter at your own risk with this nightmarish hellscape.

I rented this film from Scarecrow Video or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's sidebar to see where else you can find this walking, talking nightmare. 

No comments:

Post a Comment