Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Sea Fever (2019)

October Challenge Day 16

Water is so damn scary!!!!!

Deep seas and oceans, the feel of a creature gliding across your leg while swimming in lakes and rivers. Just the damage that water can do outside of water contained places! The epic amount of haunted water places....

That said, I'm a water baby, and actually enjoy it in the right capacity - but STILL

Let's take a look at:



Typically, mysteries out in space don't bother me *that* much. I mean, sure, okay, aliens are confirmed by the government, okay okay. Coooooool. Unimpressed. 

WHAT IS IN OUR OCEANS??!?!?!?!?!?

The amount of creatures I can just imagine in there will keep me up at night.

Here we have the story of a trawler, out for a routine fishing expedition and carrying (scandalously) a red-headed scientist just doing routine monitoring of the waters. Apparently red-heads are not suppose to be on boats or something. 

Guess I'm f*cked. 

In any case, this very Alien meets The Thing feeling movie was at times a struggle for me. Which is weird because I absolutely love Alien and The Thing. It moves along nicely, it's tense and gross, but I guess - I was just not in the right head space for it. Admittedly I wasn't feeling well when I watched it. 

Ignore all that though - I wasn't feeling well and there is a creature in the water here that has latched onto the trawler and everyone, now stranded out in the water, is in Big Trouble. 

So The Bay infiltrated my mind and spirit so much about contaminated water that I don't think I've ever fully recovered. This could be part of my problem here - this specific style of a horror story is just too much for me. I'm wildly uncomfortable and can't even relax enough to enjoy the story/have fun with the horror. 

In fact, I kept thinking of the two times I thought I was going to die while traveling in a boat - to and from Victoria, Canada - JUST to keep my focus on this film. I needed the real life horrors of massive waves knocking me around, to be all "Alright. What's going on here? Oh the water is contaminated now. Oh dear."

This is a solid creature feature film. Bonus: the nightmare of open waters. 

Best watched  alone or in a small, focused group. Pairs with heavily filtered water and canned soup. Buckled up - things are going to get ugly.

I watched this film on Shudder or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this chilling feature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment