Friday, October 20, 2023

To the Moon (2021)

October Challenge Day 18

Oh goodness, this one hit me a little funny. Let's just git right to it. Let's check out:



There's a lot going on with this little independent feature. Oh goodness.

Okay, so here we have the story of a husband and wife who retreat from the city into their family's cabin in the woods. We soon discover they are embarking on this adventure so that the husband can withdraw from his addiction, when all of a sudden his estranged and spiritual brother shows up out of nowhere and things get weird. 

So this is a solid story, a really neat premise. I was surprised at the immense and angry sigh that came out of my mouth though - for personal reasons. When my husband was first hospitalized for his addiction (that got him in the end), his immediate response to my trauma was "Let's go camping, and work this out".

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! 
You very nearly died and you want to go camping?! WTF. Get your ass to rehab.

Anyway, my counselor will probably have some thoughts on my reaction to this film ...

Back to the film.

Yes, the brother is different - seeking a spiritual experience, while his LA actor brother is still hesitant about his company. There's a long history with these two that didn't seem to make much of an appearance, but it's clear there is tension. 

The wife is just holding her own and her brother-in-law is showing her a little more attention than is comfortable for everyone. Bonus, there may be a cult lurking out in them woods. 

While this film is a little bit all over the place, and I spent a significant amount of time screaming internally because several scenarios and reactions in this film felt TOO CLOSE to my memory - so this review is a little skewed, overall it's a descent film. 

The acting is alright but something felt a little off. The brother-in-law was quite excellent, though! Rightfully giving the eeks. The writing and setting was also pretty descent but I couldn't quite figure out if the film was trying to be a '60/'70s vibe film or reflecting that it was inspired by said films. 

Again, in all, not a bad film at all, and yet something felt off quite a few times. Was it me though? Was I off? (quite possibly). Just check it out, all the same!

Pairs with herbal tea and body cleansing meals. Best watched in a cabin in the woods. 

I watched this on my Philo account or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this curious independent feature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment