Friday, October 6, 2023

The Lair (2022)

October Challenge Day 6


I'm a sucker for military horror films. Or even military-esk horror films (e.g. John Carpenter's The Thing, etc).

Now, Dog Soldiers is - hand's down - one of my favorites and probably kick-started my love of this horror story style. I've tried understanding why but I'm guessing I just really like the fast-paced action, the witty banter right before something terrible happens, and the teamwork-oriented kickassery. 

Could be that or perhaps it's just me coming from three generations of military families and I'm just trying to get through some generational trauma. Either way! Military horror films are some of my favorites. 

So when I saw a trailer for this film, I was all "...hell yeah. Doesn't even look great but now I have to see it". Let's check out:

The Lair


Yeah, this one starts off strong with a military plane being shot down and some big tiddies. And that's when I knew exactly where this film was going. So, with an unsurprising sigh, I cracked open a beer and waited for the monsters to arrive. 

This film follows some troops in Afghanistan who stumble upon a Soviet bunker that is filled with evil scientific, and forgotten experiments.... Uh Oh!

Yes, this film is exciting, visually, fast-paced, filled with quite the cast of characters, and loaded with epic fight and kill scenes. The dialogue though is lacking... but in a fun way, if you're prepared for it. The monsters on the other hand are Excellent! Super stellar fun monsters!

Overall, rather ridiculous but fun if you're looking for a fling-style movie night. Best watched in a bunker, or a living room blanket fort will also work well. Keep lights low and load up on comfy, cozy, blankets and pillows. Pairs with chicken nugget dinners (or chicken curry), beer, seltzers, or another drink that no one else really likes or understands but brings you joy. 

I watched this film on Shudder or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this military monster feature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment