Monday, October 9, 2023

Relic (2020)

October Challenge Day 8


I was scrolling through Shudder on Sunday morning, trying to figure what I was going to watch after having brunch with my friend. I came across this film, and I instantly texted her: "Hey! Want to come back to my place after brunch and watch a horror film at my place?" I just felt this film was a film that needed to be watched with a bestie. 

Let's check out:




I don't think this V.C. Andrews looking poster image was by accident. In fact, it was this poster image that made me think this movie was going to dive deep into family secrets and unlocking some witchy sh*t. 

I was WRONG

No, no, what did I discover? It has a whole lot more to do with generational trauma and dementia. Who did I ask to join me in this viewing adventure? A daughter of a refugee who's mother is currently in a home for dementia. 

JFC

Needless to say there was a lot of crying happening in my living room Sunday morning. 

This film hits HARD and 100% not for all horror viewers. I would even stress that this film is probably for very few people. Here we have the story of an older mother who has a tendency to wander off and get confused. Daughter and granddaughter arrive to help take care of her. Whoops. There's a demon or two also in the house. 

Or is there....?

As most top notch horror stories go, there is a lot being said without it being said, or said in the form of a monster we are all afraid to look at in ourselves. That's very much the case here, and the very desperate attempt to protect the next generation from the horrors of the generations before them.  

While I apologized profusely for accidentally showing a horror film that reflects too close to home, we still had a bonding and release that I think this film was also trying to display. Again, and I can't stress this enough, this is not a film for everyone. I like films being appreciated for their specific message and this one is going to be rough to do in the wrong setting or wrong company. An easily misunderstood film.
 
This is a sad, traumatic, dark, gross, and totally uncomfortable film. It will likely leave you with more questions than answers - which is especially not to everyone's taste. 

In all this is a bit of a fever dream - conjured through the distraught and muffled screams of our ancestors. 

I watched this film on Shudder, or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this soul destroyer of a film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment