Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Cold Night of Day (1990)

October Challenge Day 17


Folks, when I say I walk in blind to nearly all my movie reviews, I'm not joking. I picked up this film, thinking it was going to be a rather cheesy 1980's made-for-TV thriller... 

I WAS WRONG

WAY WRONG

Let's take a look at: 

Cold Night of Day

No, within the first few minutes of this film I was all "Wait just a damn minute.... is this film about Dennis Nilsen?????"

I came to that conclusion just after seeing a man sitting in a derelict apartment, with the police pounding on the door. Guess what? I was right! I'm not sure what that says about my true crime addiction ... 

Commonly refereed to as the European Jeffery Dahmer, this man - as with all serial killers - scares the hell out of me. Rightly so.

This is a gritty and cold - fictional - look into this killer's life and his view of life (little that he had). The similarities between him and Dahmer are uncanny so you'll see similar self destruction and wildly unhinged attempts to connect to other people, and you'll also see his desperate attempts to discard his victims - which is usually in the heartbroken form of keeping them in his floor and apartment plumping. 

Written and directed by the incredibly young Fhiona-Louise, and on a tight budget, this is definitely a film you don't want to miss if you're into obscure films. 

 You'll find a more polished and accurate account of this monster's story in the mini series Des, but there is something about the rawness of this film that feels also completely accurate.

Don't need to see this one again but I was impressed with this viewing. 

I don't have a whole lot of suggested company, food, and beverage pairings for this one. Might just need a long hot shower afterwards. 

I rented this film from Scarecrow Video or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this soul crusher of a film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment