Saturday, October 14, 2023

I’m Thinking of Ending Things (2020)

October Challenge Day 14


Well this film f*cked me up.

I remember adding this book to my To Read list on Goodreads, when it first came out, and I felt a chill run through me even then. 

I still haven't read the book but I decided to dive into the movie version. Oh goodness. Let's take a look at:



This is a profoundly difficult and emotional film. While I was trying to figure out if this was a "horror" story, even when the book came out, I quickly discovered this is a nightmare, a heartbreaking nightmare of a story.

Heads up, when you type this title in a search engine, you are immediately directed to a crisis clinic. 

So I immediately fell in love with this film with the opening credits. The Yellow Wallpaper vibes was so felt and I was all: Oh yes, I'm going to understand this film. 

And I did - but not in the way I was expecting. 

This is the story about a woman who is contemplating ending a roughly 7 week relationship with her boyfriend. 

Harmless enough, right? We've all had those thoughts and the thoughts she shares are alarmingly close to everything I've experienced (and thought). I felt attacked. Her thoughts are loud.

Not everything is as it seems, though, and the story unveils nightmares of the soul for both her and her boyfriend. 

I wasn't sure what to expect from this film but I was scared, crying, and heartbroken by the end. Know that. 

100% not a film for everyone. This is a surreal film that dives into the heart of people, particularly lonely people, and not everyone wants to look there. I get it. This is a film for when you are ready to hear hard truths and, as the film stated "...if you look close enough, everything is the same."

Pairs with wine, cake, a roast, and difficult conversations with yourself. Have icecream on reserve. Best watched alone. 

I watched this film on Netflix or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this soul crusher (release?).

No comments:

Post a Comment