Sunday, March 29, 2020

Race With the Devil (1975)

Hi everyone,
How are you all holding up during COVID-19? I hope you're all well and stay well!

Here in Seattle we're in quarantine for an indefinite amount of time. It's been nearly two weeks and I've already gone through my jigsaw puzzle collection ...

I am, of course, also plowing through horror movies. During the day though, I'm blowing through comedy shows because I need a guaranteed laugh.

Speaking of guaranteed laugh, my brother and I got into a discussion about whistling, recently, which prompted us to try to whistle. To the horror of both of us, we seemed to have lost the ability to whistle. There we were, walking around the house, staring at walls, and mildly panicking until slowly, but surely, the ability to whistle came back to us.

I also noted that when I was first trying to whistle, my jaw sort of "cracked", and that's when I realized I've been clenching my jaw/grinding my teeth for a while (days, weeks, months????). So this is my advice: please take time to laugh and try to whistle - even if it's just to make sure you're not locking your jaw in unrecognized stress.

Although we're trying to spend the day laughing and working on jigsaw puzzles, it's movie night every night in the Bergman home.

Last night my brother suggested the movie he's been asking me to watch, for years: Race With the Devil.


Why I haven't seen this film listed in some of 'the best religious cult horror' lists, is beyond me. This is a remarkably exciting for such a minimal premise. Two couples commence on an RV trip through rural Texas only to stumble across a religious cult - nightmares ensue. 

This is a thrilling film! Honestly, I wasn't expecting to find a story about an RV tearing top speed through tumbleweeds and dirt piles to be so exciting. IT IS!

Bonus, considering this is 1970's midnight pulp fodder, it's not 'ridiculous'. All actions are reasonable (e.g., no one is making stupid, garish mistakes), and the story unfolds with alarming ease and doom. This gritty relatability is also what made is so endearing. For example, there is a scene where a couple of friends are defying the cold in order to sit outside, drunk, and talk about nothing. 

I've been there. So Many Times. Bundled up, hunched over the table, smoking and being merrily tipsy with my friends into the early hours. Cheers, girls' weekend getaways.

In all, this is an overall menacing fun film with a Mad Max feel. Excellent choice for a late movie night. Also, judge the movie by this movie poster:

Exciting!

Not this one:

Yikes!

Pairs with a sh*t ton of snacks, lots of blankets, and surrounded by objects bought at tourists traps.

I watched this movie on Amazon, or use Horror Habit's Find It! Watch It! links to see where else you can "catch" this heart racer. 

Stay safe, be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment