Saturday, May 25, 2019

Hell Baby (2013)

I found this film after noticing it was leaving Shudder soon. I had time to kill and thought: Eh, what the hell, I'll give it a shot.

...and then I noticed that Hell Baby is from the creators of Reno 911. I dropped everything and immediately turned it on.

...and then and then I noticed that I've seen this film floating around several streaming platforms, with this poster image:


I groaned and continued my scrolling.

It wasn't until I saw this poster on Shudder that I paid the slightest attention to this film at all:


I'm super judgy about movie posters. Super Judgy. 

Booo first poster, HAHAHA second poster.

I started laughing out loud about 10 minutes into this film. I didn't stop until it was over. Based on the (current) low rating on IMDB, quite a few people saw this and simply do not have my sense of humor (any humor?). To those people: sorry, it's not working out. It's you not me.

It's fast and fumbly, absolutely ridiculous, whip smart, stoooopidly gross, AND IT STARS KEEGAN-MICHAEL KEY!!

The story is pretty straight forward: a young couple building their family decide to move into a notoriously haunted house. Hilarity ensues. 

It's crass, but good crass. It's flippant and slapstick, but good flippant and slapstick. It's also brazenly unapologetic for what it is: smart absurdist humor. In all, if you like Reno 911 then you'll be sure to like this. Then there are those who do not like Reno 911 and they need help, not judgment. 

Right after the movie ended, I texted some of my best ladies saying we need a movie night soon - obviously suggesting this film. I can already see us rolling all over the popcorn-covered floor, clutching at our bellowing, laughter-filled bellies. 

Pairs with anything that brings a smile to your face, and a tall glass of turpentine. 

I watched this film on Shudder but you can use the Find It. Watch It. links on Horror Habit's sidebar to locate where else you can find this laughter-inducing gem. 

Here's the trailer for the film. Ask your doctor if this humor is right for you:



2 comments:

  1. Had me at "could be an ex girlfriend on PCP." LOL Also, a huge fan of cutie Keegan-Michael Key so this looks right up my alley. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I re-watched it again just the other night! Still laughed out loud :D

      Delete