Thursday, October 28, 2021

Winchester (2018)

October Challenge Day 27

A couple years ago I got the great opportunity to visit the world famous Winchester Mystery House, and I lost my damn mind! It was just as mind-blowing as I was hoping for. What I didn't expect was how much of a *home* it actually felt like - it didn't feel scary, just fascinating and even a little sad. 

The more I walked through, the more it seemed Sarah Winchester was just a very misunderstood and perhaps lonely person. I got the impression she was so intensely misunderstood, people just starting making things up about her. 

After the tour we all thought we'd spend the evening watching this film, but that didn't happen - and in fact I hadn't actually thought much of this film until I browsed by it today. Seemed a good fit for an October Challenge, so let's check out:



I honestly wasn't expecting much from this film - likely very pretty in a big budget little substance sort of way. I was correct, however I was surprised by how much I didn't mind and rather enjoyed myself. 

Sure sure, it's pretty and over-the-top but again, it was oddly captivating in a pulpy sort of way. It would have been an excellent film to see after spending the day at the mansion and I'm sorry that didn't work out, but hey, here we are.

Sarah Winchester was portrayed in an exaggerated (and likely untrue in may ways) fashion but it worked for the story. 

Here we have the Winchester company sending in a doctor to investigate the mental stability of their largest shareholder: Sarah Winchester. She believes *a little too much* in ghosts, you see. 

This doctor, a firm septic, is thrust into the nightmares of the house and all the ghosts it possesses. 

Fun, frank, and neat looking (they did a great job of recreating the interior!), this is a little spooker with occasional jolts. Decent. I was pleasantly surprised. 

*California houses another historic haunted house - The Whaley House - which is also incredibly sad and interesting rather (in my opinion) haunted. Eh, possibly a little more haunted than the Mystery House though ... I'll give it that ... still incredibly sad, strange place though.

*Now, if you want to visit a really, really spooky historical house - check out the House of the Seven Gables in Salem, Massachusetts. That place (and The Witch House, there) was SPOOKY as all get out!! It even has a secret stairwell that boggles the mind. Straight up, the memory of this place still gives me the chills. 

I watched this film on Netflix, or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this little ghost fest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment