Friday, October 29, 2021

Bad Hair (2020)

October Challenge Day 28: 

I LOVE THIS FILM SO MUCH

Why are people not talking about:



I LOVE THIS FILM SO MUCH

Let's go back to 1989, where VJ's reigned over music videos, art design consisted of colorful squares and triangles, and the clothes were certainly one of a kind. I was jolted right back to middle school as soon as the film started. And I loved it!

Here we have a career-focused woman who is asked to change her look to be a better fit for the position she wants. Particularly changing her hair... She makes her way to a famous hair saloon and obtains a weave - and the change worked! - but at what cost?

This tale tracks down and tackles A Lot in regards to sexism, racism, history, and takes a deep look into the culture surrounding hair - Specifically for women. 

I am completely ignorant about hair outside my own, which is a white girl's long straight hair that sits on my head like an idiot and does nothing. I am completely ignorant. So when I caught a very specific scene that involved a white girl's long straight hair - a light bulb suddenly turned on and I realized, once again, how much I don't know. How much I still really don't realize. I love learning though, particularly when that light bulb turns on and kicks me right in the head.

While this film tackles a lot and does it with a few disjointed scenes (that I had to rewind to catch up on), together it's pretty amazing and the dialogue is absolutely stellar. 

This film has a lot to say and I loved hearing every bit of it! I also had no idea how a weave worked (never seen it done before) and I was crawling right up under my blankets, cringing - at this story's portrayal, which was graphic. 

In all I loved this film, I love the nostalgia, I loved how loud - and funny - it's voice was. I thought it was great. 

I watched this film on Hulu or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this carefully crafted "creature" feature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment