Monday, October 25, 2021

Chapelwaite (2021) vs. Midnight Mass (2021)

October Challenge Day 24

I'm mixing things up a bit and reviewing not just a movie, of two TV shows in one post! I live dangerously. No one can stop me. 

We're experiencing some pretty incredible - seems to also be record breaking - nasty weather in the Pacific Northwest lately, making it a PERFECT time to crawl under the blankets and binge watch some vampire drama. 

Here I'm going to compare two of them - let's take a look at:

Chapelwaite:


and 

Midnight Mass


I actually watched Midnight Mass first, back in September, and as with all of Mike Flanagan's work - LOVED IT. I am a major fan.

Both Chapelwait and Midnight Mass actually look me a minute to really get invested. I just finished up Chapelwait today so here are some initial thoughts:

It took me watching Chapel to realize how poetic Midnight is - that's the first and most powerful word that comes to mind: Poetic. 

Chapel was fun, in a rather made-for-TV Stephen King story sort of way. I'm not complaining, I just found this difference striking when both stories follow religious zealously and night-stalking creatures....

Chapel: made-for-TV IDGAF fun. 

Midnight: brooding, calculated, and poetic. 

There's a scene in Midnight where there's a moving conversation about death. Folks - I was BAWLING my eyes out. Ugly crying. U.G.L.Y crying. Just the most snotty, giant giant bawling, tears. I was so glad I watched this on my own.

I did not have any ugly crying with Chapel - just a lot of "...where is this going...?" as I was hunkering down from the cyclone winds, lights flickering.  Further pointing to how different these shows are despite the similar plots. 

There was even a topic on Facebook with one of my friends about these two films. Opinions are divided and rightfully so. They are incredibly different and people have their preferences. 

For me, I'm siding more with Midnight mostly because of the poetry and how insanely moved I was by one specific conversation in the show. And I couldn't have asked for a better series than Chapel to help carry me through record-breaking nasty spooky season weather. 

In all - Watch Them Both!! I'm not even a fan of blood sucking stories, I normally find them rather boring and sad. These though are well worth a binge and are both full of some very shocking moments.

These shows pair best with blanket snuggle fests and existential dread. Probably best to watch alone or with one other person. 

I watched Chapelwaite on Epix and Midnight Mass on Netflix, or use the Find It! Watch It! links in Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find these 10 episodes a piece creeptastic creature features. 

No comments:

Post a Comment