Saturday, October 16, 2021

Lamb (2021)

October Challenge Day 15

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Where do I begin with:

Lamb


My brother, his girlfriend, and I took a trip to the movie theater to check out this chiller. We discussed the film for over an hour over beers afterwards and I'm going to be the first to tell you: this is a good idea. You need some space to talk about this bonkers tale. 

Here we have super rural Icelandic farmers and shepherds, living their humdrum and mourning (after the loss of their child) life until one day, one of there ewes gives birth to a .... a creature. 

And here is where you need to check your brain into a surreal and disbelief world, and just let the fairytale unfold. Nevermind the very terrifying the giant monster stalking the stark landscape!

So we're in Iceland, which is portrayed with such horror and isolation, you'll actually want one their sweaters halfway through the film to ward off the bone chill. You might want to add a blanket to just to ward off the dismal sadness that will crawl into your skin.

Some will not understand what in the world is going in this super slow burner - some might be a little traumatized. I'm pretty sure all will have a moment when the "WTF" stare will be glued to the screen. 

In all, this is a rough film and incorporates a great deal of the mind-fuckery that is grief. Bonus, very, very, very detailed sheep rearing experience. In fact, I couldn't believe how well these (now very scary to me) creatures "acted" in this film. 

I truly enjoyed this film, so much so that I'm not sure I need to see it again/experience those emotional reactions again. 

Best watched in sweaters, in silence, next to a fire, with just a few of your friends or family. Pairs with eggs and potatoes, wine, beer, and/or whiskey, or ..... LAMB.

I watched this film in the theater and I highly recommend this experience - you can almost *smell* the farm from the big screen. Or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this truly creepy feature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment