Monday, October 11, 2021

Alleluia (2014)

October Challenge Day 8: 

When I started this film, which has been on my To-Watch list for many years, I wasn't sure what to expect or what the film was even remotely about - but I certainly wasn't expecting to get sucked down the rabbit hole that is the real life murderous couple: Raymond Fernandez and Martha Beck.

But I'm skipping ahead a bit - let me introduce you to the horrifying and harrowing: 

Alleluia


This film kicks off in a cold, lonely morgue, with a sad, cold, and lonely woman preparing a body for burial. Life is mundane, even as a single parent, until a friend introduces our tormented Gloria, to online dating. 

... and this is when SH*T BEGINS TO HIT THE FAN!

Folks, this film is a nightmare view into 100% - no question - absolutely - soul crushing look into a wild and dangerous world of an outrageously unhealthy relationship. 

This is when I flew down the rabbit hole, because I couldn't believe this could possibly be based on actual events - or that a "romance" like this one could have possibly existed. Well, the madness is true and not only that, there were four films, including this one, made about this couple - this just happens to be the most recent one. 

And it's great! This film is beautiful! Horrifyingly beautiful! A slow but calculated walk into the rotting stench of obsessive madness and mental illness. 

Like I said, it's beautiful but horrifying and - well - disgusting. It's well worth a look, even if you've seen the other three films (I haven't yet but they are also now on my To-Watch list). If you're familiar with Fabrice du Welz's work, particularly with the mind crushing works such as Vinyan and Calvaire, then you have a good idea of what you're getting involved with, with this feature. 

Probably best watched alone. Not Recommended for first dates with someone you swiped right with... Pairs with farm to table food, Italian wine, and practical clothes. 

I watched this film on Kanopy or use Horror Habit's side bar to locate where else you can find this extremely distressing Belgian feature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment