Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Possum (2018)

October Challenge Day 20

Get that soap out and the hot water ready, you are going to need a Long Long shower after watching:

Possum


This movie is ROUGH. 

ROUGH!

Here we have a puppeteer returning to the family home, carrying a bag that holds: Possum. An outrageously scary puppet with a human face and spider legs. 

And here is where I alert horror film viewers that this film is absolutely not for everyone. It's heady, tedious, and slow. I love this stuff, especially when the existential loose ends are resolved in the end - which they are here in ALARMING fashion, but to truly appreciate the story you'll need to pay attention to every single detail. 

Every Single Detail.

I lost track with how many times I had to rewind because I missed a sliver of activity. I also had this English speaking film on Closed Caption because the voices are low and accents strong. 

While this is a heady horror film, it's also an intense tale on trauma. Trust me, it will make sense in the end. 

Brooding and dingy, cold and maddening, this story unveils the horrors of childhood trauma and the destruction it causes to a shattered middle-aged man. 

Oh goodness, some memories just came back and I'm going to need a hug folks. SHOWER AND HUGS.

I imagine this film could prompt many after viewing discussions, particular in the realms of the artistic style and their meanings, but also the psychological and emotional toll trauma can create. 

I NEED A SHOWER AND A HUG

Remarkable acting, incredibly terrifying atmosphere, horrifying puppet, and a shell of a human trying to find a way out of hell. A film best appreciated when ready to face it.

Best watched alone, in a room with tattered and stained furniture, pairs with candy that you hated as a child (and still have a physical repulsion to it). 

I watched this film on Shudder or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this soul crushing - and breath taking - feature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment