Thursday, January 14, 2021

The Haunted (1991)

I've had this film on my To Watch list for a while - for two reasons. One: this movie poster is alarmingly interesting to me. Two: I hate this boring and generic title.  

Let me introduce you to the '90s made-for-TV movie: The Haunting


Folks, in the very first opening scene, this was me:


And that continued to be me throughout most of the film.


I've seen this film before. I know it! The feeling was, how should I say it ... haunting ...

Did I watch it on TV when it first came out? Perhaps. Did I watched it at some point over the last 20 years on some streaming device, drinking beer and zoning out on a Sunday afternoon? Also perhaps.

What strikes me the most about all this is how *good* the film is - how could I forget this film?!

Based on the book, The Haunted: One Family's Nightmare by Ed and Lorraine Warren, Robert Curran, and Jack and Janet Smurl, this story follows the Smurl family and the nightmares endured in their haunted duplex. 

Not a new premise and it has all the classic haunting situations, but this is legit a fascinating tale, regardless if you believe in ghosts or not. 

With a great cast that includes Sally Kirkland and Jeffrey DeMunn, this is not your average made-for-tv movie. Straight up, there were some downright disturbing and rather frightening scenes - my mind is still blown that I completely forgot about this gem. 

Yeah yeah, some will scoff at 'based on true paranormal events' stories, but they're no fun and I don't want to play with them. This film is for paranormal fans, spooky and dramatic made-for-tv movie fans, and people who just enjoy a good tale.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film!

Best watched curled up on a couch, chilling the day away with a beer. Be sure to sit up and point at the TV if you also recognize this film from your past. 

Now, I can't tell you where I first saw this film, but I noticed it was on YouTube. Note, I don't often advise watching free films on YouTube, for a wide variety of reasons but also the film quality is terrible. Use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this spooky thriller. 

No comments:

Post a Comment