Wednesday, October 4, 2023

The Alien Factor (1978)

October Challenge Day 4

I knew I was getting myself into some cheesy schlock with this one but I had now idea how much! Let's take a look at the beautiful mess that is:




And what a beautiful, hilarious mess this one is! 

Right off the bat, an alien ship crashes and two young lovers, just hanging out in the woods, are victims of the creatures that emerge from this craft. 

It just gets wildly off the charts and more charmingly bizarre from there. 

Folks, I could not stop laughing at a brief scene, also towards the beginning, where two dudes were walking. Just two dudes walking down the street - but with the music, the angle, the lighting - everything, it just sent me over the edge in hysterics. As with nearly all beloved trash films, it's so hard to really explain why they are so entertaining when they are such poorly made films. I think it's the earnestness. 

The way the characters and story so earnestly tries to convey a very serious issue, in the film, but it all ends up looking like your incredibly awkward best friend trying out a talent for the first time, and you just can't keep it together. I mean, you're rooting for them the whole time but still. 

I love awkward films so much. I love my awkward friends so much. 

This story then unveils a stranger coming into town, because of course, and he says he can help fix the murder situation the small town is experiencing from 'strange creatures'. The sheriff though, is all "This man is sus". 

In comes the monster aliens! Oh lord help me! When I say I was speechless when I saw these monsters, I'm not joking. I was wheeze laughing. If these alien costumes are not already in some sort of collector's home, or have been turned into miniature collector items, etc, then I don't know what. Then we fail as horror schlock nerds, I guess. 

In all, this is a FANTASTIC pick for a fun-loving horror movie night with folks. Just gather together and experience these aliens as a fond, shared memory. 

Best watched in a cozy home - full of food, fun, blankets, pillows, and laughter. Pairs with absolutely anything. A lot of cheese is a must. 

I watched this film on Tubi or use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to see where else you can find this ABSOLUTE GEM of a creature feature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment