Monday, October 30, 2023

The Nanny (1965)

October Challenge Day 29


You know I'll NEVER turn down a Bette Davis film. Particularly scary Bette Davis! Let's take a look at:



Here we have the tale of a loving nanny, waiting for the return of her charge - a 10 year old boy - who's returning from a mental institution because ... well ... something terrible happened when he was 8 years old....

 The mother is having a breakdown about her son's return. The father isn't having anything to do with anyone's feelings and just yeets out of town. There's the nanny though, she's tried and true and holds everything together, much to the rage of this young man who is just an absolute nightmare of a child. 

Folks. I had to rewind this film so many times because I wasn't paying attention 100% of the time. Don't do this. Sit down, distraction free, and watch this walking, talking, anxiety attack in one shot.

Was I crying by the end? Maybe. You don't know me! 

This is simply a stellar film. Full of raw terror, heartbreak, immense tension, and maddening behavior. I enjoyed this film immensely! I also remembered when I used to babysit and NEVER AGAIN. Never. Again. I babysat some real nightmares of children - always little boys who took great pleasure in tormenting me, locking me out of the house, etc. [sips wine, in my peaceful world, embracing my inner Bette Davis badassery] Never again. 

In any case, this is an excellent film! Don't pass it up. 

Best watched in an aggressively clean room. Pairs with cake, coffee, and cigarettes. Be sure to sit very close and awkwardly in front of the TV.

I rented this film from Scarecrow Video or use the Find It! Watch It! links to see where else you can find this not-at-all-childish chiller.

No comments:

Post a Comment