Thursday, July 16, 2015

Dead Crossroads (Television Show, 2012)

 I Love Love Love Love Love THIIIISSSS!


I never turn down a ghost story show, soooooooo I've seen some pretty great ones and I've seen pretty awful ones. 

I was absolutely blown away by Dead Crossroads

In fact, I straight up can't even handle right now. Can. Not. Even. Handle.
  • The background music: Simply marvelous - it's beautiful, totally haunting, and just perfect for mood setting.
  • The settings and scenery: FANTASTIC. I mean, seriously, how can you not love gorgeous decaying French chateaus. 
  • The investigators: Urban Explorers! Be still my beating heart! 
  • The stories: Some of the best bone-chilling AND heartbreaking tales I have ever heard.
  • The episodes themselves: 15 stunning minutes of sinister intrigue. 
  • Fun Fact: This is the first French ghost show. Ever.
Negative Nancy's might view this little darling as just two dudes walking around with a camera.

Fans of history, legends, urban exploration, photography, ghost stories, architecture, and documentaries will most likely see this show as a startling yet heartfelt look into some of France's incredible (and forgotten..........?) dark history............

A word I've seen thrown around quite a bit in relation to this show is: Innovative. I couldn't agree more. I consider myself a ghost story aficionado and I've never seen anything quite like this. Never.

That all said, I think it's important to add that I have a loving beef with French horror. It Messes With Your Head, Man! I have yet to see a French horror film or short story doesn't try to scramble your brain into a tasty little breakfast burrito. It's just how they roll.

DAMN YOU FRENCH HORROR

I'm not even joking with you, folks. If you haven't spent quality time with French horror films then you have no idea what I'm talking about and my powers are useless. If you have and understand what I'm talking about, then, well, good for you. I guess that's all I have to say about that... French horror, it's something else.

But back to the show! Okay, yes, Dead Crossroads is about two dudes walking around with a camera, but it's also so much more. And true, this is a Ghost Story series, but the ghosts aren't always the scariest element. There, now I've given you something more to think about.

This show is also not a night vision ghost hunt riddled with censor beeps. Instead, the narrator takes you on a historical tour of the buildings while the explorers simply show you around. GENIUS

On top of it all, the episodes are only 15 minutes long. Long enough to get you hooked, short enough to make you wail for more. I'm still wailing.

In all: Extremely well done, Fabien Delage and Julien Mazzitelli. You've created a terrifying masterpiece of art and story telling. Please please please keep it up!

Recommended pairing: take hold what ever old object you hold dear and then shatter it to pieces. OR sit on the edge of your seat and simply prepare for an awesome mind and eye adventure. Popcorn and snacks are a must. Large group, small group - it don't matter, so long as everyone is tuned in fully. Best watched late at night right before you go to bed.


20 comments:

  1. I also just found this series and I wish there were a hundred episodes. It srsly could not be better. I mean, I love the Ghost Hunters for their sincerity but this is a whole new level of entertainment for the reasons you mentioned, especially the urban exploration aspect. So excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed this series as much as I did! And I totally agree - I really enjoy Ghost Hunters (and the like, personally) for a huge variety of reasons but this one is something beautifully - stunningly - different. Thanks again, arcanewinter, for sharing and happy ghost story watching!

      Delete
    2. I love this show but honestly some of the ghost footage looks completely fake but at the same time real, and honestly the final episode left me with more questions of legitimacy than answers I'll admit fake or not it scared the literal pants off of me it's still enough to question. Either way it was filmed beautifully and with extraneous care to detail.

      Delete
    3. I hear ya! :) I was hesitant to post my opinion in my review whether it was real or not. Reason being is that I think part of the entertainment is having the pants scared off of you through the duration (and it did for me). But then, by the end, being able to sit back from the edge of your seat, and giving the ol' screen a little wink and smile. I find that to be a clever and creative top quality horror story :D

      Delete
    4. Laaaaaaame! The last episode proves that these guys are a stinky stinky fake. Ruined the whole series for me.

      Delete
    5. That's too bad you felt the last episode ruined this series for you. It sounds like you missed the point of the show, and apparently you're not too familiar with French horror.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed it. Somethings most likely were faked but boy the history itself is captivating! Has you on the edge of your seat wanting more! Have to say the haunting history out does anybody else's!
    Haunting, Beautiful Architecture, History & Adventurous. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Russ52, and thank you for sharing!

      Delete
    2. I have to agree. I just saw this on Hulu, I've never heard of it, that I can recall, and I am hooked. However, not for the "ghost hunting" aspect, but more for the unbelievable history. I love ruins, always wanted to buy one & restore it, and this show is showing me places I've never heard of, being from the States. I agree, with others, the history is at times almost tear jerking. It boggles my mind how people can be so evil & be considered a Dr of ANYTHING! BUT DEFINITELY loving this history. Interested in this last episode that I am hearing about. Truthfully, I am not going to be upset if I never see paranormal evidence, although that door on S1E2, was pretty freaky, I am thoroughly loving this show.

      Delete
    3. Oh yeah, that door scene! Yes, it got me pretty good as well :) Thank you so much for sharing renixon72!

      Delete
  3. I dont even watch this as a ghost show. I enjoy the history, the videography, the intense feeling something or someone will show up or jump out. Wish it was a full hour. Just watched s1e3 and wanted an ending of some degree lol! Like do they make it out ok or what. Really love the chance to see the place while hearing the history

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just watching this now, and first few episodes we thought were cool. Love how it's shot and that the guys are there more or less just to observe and explore.

    Then part 2 of the orphanage episode and OH MY GOD WHAT DID I JUST HEAR?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its fake. Ghost hunters and all of it is 100% fake. Laughable how all items are 'pulled' nothing ever is pushed or hovered. Entertainment value now, this show is above the rest no doubt. 15 mins to enjoy a good story and some best attempts to prove paranormal activity, yeah I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found this series on my Amazon Prime, and like many Paranormal Investigative shows, I'm not looking to believe in the afterlife hauntings. I'm looking to believe in the history.

    Now, this could be because I am in another country and my searches are limited when it comes to over-seas crime, but I have yet to find any documentation proving these fantastically, horrific stories as truth. I am not able to find records of the people mentioned, the crimes committed(even when they took place in recorded history), or even the places themselves(except for Trinity Orphanage, but records state it was a church house for boys...?).

    I don't know if this footage is fake or not (found a face on a wall in episode 2-the details are freaking staggering), however the stories are what causes my disbelief in this series. It is entertaining, and I do enjoy the creepy-down-to-earth head camera footage. But it's the truth behind haunted tales that cause it to be scary, otherwise they are just campfire stories.

    Hopefully, someone can find proof/documentation for these stories actual existence and cause this series to not be in question.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pretty sure they completely made up the "back stories", which were really the only stand out element.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally loved it. In retrospect, I hope the back stories were made up. They were all so disturbing. Well done entertainment.

    ReplyDelete