Tuesday, July 14, 2015

We Are What We Are (2013)

One year ago on this day I was ridiculously hungry for some pulled pork tacos.

I remember this obscure fact because it was exactly a year ago that I watched We Are What We Are while prepping the kitchen to make some pulled pork tacos.

Halfway through the film I was no longer hungry for pulled pork tacos. Instead I drafted a review of the film, ate some veggies, and just let it sit in the draft folder for a year. And you know what, now that I think about it, I haven't made pulled pork tacos since....

Pulled pork tacos is not the meal you should be thinking about eating when watching this dark beauty. I repeat: no to the pulled pork tacos. A year later this story and images still haunt my memory.


This film is a beautiful creeptastic tale of really horrible family traditions. It also creeps in every sense of the way. The cold hard lighting and scenery, the frightening father, the dark drippy grossness, and the ever-present and over powerful sense of foreboding, yup, this one creeps right into your bones and tenderizes the flesh.

We Are What We Are shares the qualities of a psychological thriller, psychopathic bloodbath, a dark after school special on ABC, and a clumsy underdog show. To my surprise and  horror all of these qualities managed to blend very well. So well, in fact, that by the end a whole new level of monster was created.

Well done, We Are What We Are - you are most certainly just that, a unique horror drama that leaves a long lasting creep in the bones.

Recommended pairings: Eat meat if you dare! Any and all of it! The rarer the better. Watch with staunch vegetarians on a dark, cold night. No blankets or pillows. This movie will require your full attention so it would be best watched alone or in a small, quiet group (preferably an obedient and well behaved group that you can yell at if they speak out of turn or voice an opinion).


No comments:

Post a Comment