Friday, August 28, 2015

Creepshow (1982)

I came home recently to find Mike bursting with news: "Look what I have! I'm pretty sure we don't already own it!"  It was a DVD copy of Creepshow - he found it in a box full of movies donated to the pubic (thank you sidewalk free piles).


In response I bounced around, thanked him, and agreed. Naturally, if we owned this classic then we would know it ... right...?

We agreed to watch it soon and I went to file it away in our movie case. Being the constant organizer, all our movies are sorted alphabetically. So imagine my astonishment when I went to file Creepshow right next to: CREEPSHOW.

That's right, folks. We already owned Creepshow. How did this happen!? Surely somewhere this is a blasphemous act. What does that say about me/Horror Habit, and what does that say about the size of our movie collection?!

We had to right this wrong, quick.

So I phoned my brother Matthew, told him I had a surprise gift for him, and we agreed to meet up later that day. While in route to meet me, he called: "Jolie, I'm going to be late - not sure how late. A guy on the bus just threw a can of beer at the driver, then jumped out the bus window and ran off."

My first two thoughts:

#1: Whhaaaaaaaattt?!
#2: Now he really needs this copy of Creepshow.

But wait, there's more!

Not only did my brother see a live, insane, drunk version of Mission Impossible, but a couple days later, while camping, a SPIDER CRAWLED OUT OF HIS EAR.

Few scenarios come to mind where a free copy of Creepshow is more deserving than: seeing a drunk man jump out a bus window AND having a spider crawl out of your ear. That spider was deep in his ear canal too. He spent an agonizing hour feeling/hearing it scratch around, just to give you a more terrifying visualization. And if you're brave enough for one more spider story, check out what's living in my friend's back yard!

In the end, my traumatized but recovering brother is very grateful for the movie, and my Husband and I promptly watched our copy (after we made sure the home was spider free).

This is such a great film. If you haven't seen it yet then slap the back of your hand right now because: for shame. With the simply excellent and perfectly applicable tag line: "The most fun you'll ever have being scared!" how could this one ever get by the Excellent Horror Movie radar?

Creepshow has five short, sweet, sharp, and completely entertaining stories made possible by the brilliance of Stephen King and George R. Romero. Some stories are sad, some are funny, and some feed that deep, dark, vengeance arachnid that lives in the heads of us all. These stories are rock solid, filmed with fantastic creativity, and do right by all the horror comic book fans out there. Myself included.

....my precious....

And that's really all I have to say. I know this review turned into more of a story about public transportation, spiders, and movie collections - but Creepshow is also funny, gross, icky, disturbing, wrong, and yet oh so right. That all said, I have no idea why this movie ended up in a free pile. Let's just assume the donator also had a spare copy...

This is great film to watch alone, in a small group, or share the fun in a jam-packed theater. Quite simply, this film never disappoints. Recommended pairing: Favorite food, favorite snacks, favorite drinks - bring them all.

Obviously, I watched our personal DVD but use the links under Find It. Watch It. on Horror Habit's side bar to locate where else you can find this superb classic.

And now, here's the trailer to get you started on the fun:


No comments:

Post a Comment