Friday, October 5, 2018

Dead of Night (1977)

October Challenge Day 5

When I have no idea what to watch I often turn to an anthology. Or, in rare instances, a somewhat raunchy cartoon comedy.

There were no raunchy cartoons this evening, however... So there I was, evening all to myself, cats all curled up on the couch with me and I had no idea what I wanted to see. Until I stumbled up on this 1970's made-for-TV goodness, Dead Of Night, while one of my favorite childhood dishes (spaghetti casserole) was heating up in the oven.


The thing I love about anthologies, especially made-for-TV anthologies, is that I *know* at least one of the stories is going to be great. They are also going to be deliciously cheesy - but not too much cheese - just enough to delight the savory senses. Just like my awesome casserole.

Such is the case with this gem!

*Note, this one should not to be confused with the absolutely stellar anthology gem, Dead of Night (1945).

The first story is a heart-felt love story, the second a sinister tale of deception, while the third story (it's always the third story) is probably the best. Or at least the most memorable.

Throughout the first two stories I knew I hadn't seen this show. The third one though, I sat up on the couch, leaned closer, and said to no one: "I've seen this story..."

Couldn't tell you when, where, or how I saw the last tale of this show, but I know I saw it and it a left a disturbing impression on me, and perhaps one of the first to resonate "Be careful what you ask for, you might just get it". It's also probably so impressionable because it's a perfect horror story: at what lengths will you go to bring a loved one back and what price will you pay?

[queue weathering a dark stormy night in front of a hearth fire, thunder rings, ominous sounds bellow in the distance]

This is a really well made show, and a fine collection of familiar/not familiar stories. Richard Matheson fans rejoice - if you're not familiar with this show then I suggest you get on this pronto. Make it a double feature with Trilogy of Terror!!!

Pairs with your favorite comfort food, clothes, and a few close friends. Best watched as the Fall blows in and on a blustery night.

I saw this film on the Shudder channel. Use the Find It. Watch It. links on Horror Habit's side bar to locate where else you can find this delightfully chilling gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment