Wednesday, October 10, 2018

The Forest (2016)

October Challenge Day 9

Folks, I have been sick! Like, couldn't move sick - and it came on with a fury. Just a few days ago I couldn't move my head, it was so stiff! My head! The rest of me wasn't doing much better.

I "watched" movies though, and by "watched" I mean I had something on somewhere in the house but I was asleep most of the time. We'll get to those reviews later.

Last night I finally felt ready to interact with the world, albeit distantly. I have wonderful friends who host a movie night once a week during October, but I could not make last night's showing. Sickness could not stop us though!!!

Instead, we started the movie at the same time (in our respective homes) and watched it together via the help of technology. The movie of choice: The Forest.


So I know this movie didn't fare well in the theaters. I didn't even see it until last night, but here's where my heart is going into this post:

The story is about a very real forest in Japan where people commit suicide. I was a little, shall we say, put off by the idea of this movie for that reason alone. Suicide is not entertainment. It's serious, isolating, and engulfed in illness.

So there I was, isolated and engulfed in illness, and there was a friend reaching out. We watched this film together via our own TVs and with the aid of texts. We also had a good hearty laugh about my rock solid 'tree trunk neck', as I called it. Not realizing the irony of the haunted forest story at the time.

And you know what? I had a really great time. I had a great time not because of the movie itself, which is alright/some promise/story needed work/all together okay. I had a great time watching it with my friend.

As someone who is a big advocate for understanding the quality of watching a horror film, especially a horror film, is not always on the film - it's who you are watching it with that greatly contributes - this film is going down in my personal history as one of my fondest memories. I realize that is a terribly odd thing to say about a suicide forest.

So here's my advice for this film. Watch it with people - watch it with friends - family - when you need support in anyway. Watch it with talkers, rooters, skeptics, and those that make you bellow out in laughter (especially when it's inappropriate).

Thankfully I'm feeling better now but my phone just buzzed notifying me of several children coming down with a mystery illness in my state. I think I'm going to turn off the news for a bit and watch a zombie flick.

Mad love to support networks. Keep talking. Take care of yourself. Stay hydrated.

I rented this film. Or you can use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to locate where else you can find this sad, spooky love story.

No comments:

Post a Comment